New Lesson Release - How Can We Hang On To A Dream - Tim Hardin

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGNeil

Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:33 am

Hey Everybody,
New lesson today is a Tim Hardin classic,
How Can We Hang On To A Dream.

How Can We Hang On To A Dream is a gorgeous, magical, little song written by American folk musician Tim Hardin, and covered by many prominent artists. It appears on his album ‘Tim Hardin 1’, released in 1966. 

It’s in 3/4, with relatively easy chords in the key of Em (capo III). 

This lesson teaches how to strum through the song, as well as how you could fingerpick it. Personally I prefer the latter. 

We also take a look at how to incorporate a little bit of what the violin is playing. For this we use a few different shapes, higher up the neck, for some of the chords.

Transitioning smoothly between chords is crucial in order to make it flow and sound beautiful. There is a segment which discusses a few techniques for that. 

thereshopeyet

Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:50 pm

Vanessa

Nice

:D

michelew

Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:00 pm

TGNess,

WOW... thank you SO much for bringing magic to my morning. While sad this is so gorgeous. I LOVE your playthrough and you’ve absolutely inspired me to dust off my strings and learn this.

I’ve never heard it before, believe it or not. 1966, Great year :) ;)

Thanks for introducing me to this beautiful song and more importantly teaching us how to play it.

Love your work.

Shel
Xxx

TGNesh

Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:34 am

Thanks Dermot!

I didn't think i knew the song you posted, but I do. Apparently a Bobby Darin hit. So, is that a hint? :D
thereshopeyet wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:50 pm
Vanessa

:D

TGNesh

Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:37 am

Loved to read your comment Shel!

I don't know what it is about the song. I called it magical. Neil called it haunting. I guess it's a little of both to me. Just one of those songs that jumped out to me when i was a kid. Wouldn't have had a clue who Tim Hardin was though.

I can't believe you didn't know it, such a great year! :lol: :P

In anyway, many many thanks for the compliments!! :blush:

TGNess 8-)
michelew wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:00 pm
TGNess,

WOW... thank you SO much for bringing magic to my morning. While sad this is so gorgeous. I LOVE your playthrough and you’ve absolutely inspired me to dust off my strings and learn this.

I’ve never heard it before, believe it or not. 1966, Great year :) ;)

Thanks for introducing me to this beautiful song and more importantly teaching us how to play it.

Love your work.

Shel
Xxx

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic