Away In A Manger - Solo Arrangement by Doug Young

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGNeil

Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:30 am

In this lesson, we’ll learn a fingerstyle arrangement in standard tuning of one of the two melodies used for the Christmas tune Away In A Manger. We’ll learn how to take a simple, easy-to-read, or easy-to-memorize arrangement and enhance it on the fly into a more sophisticated-sounding piece. This approach is great for tunes you only play during certain times of the year.

thereshopeyet

Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:51 pm

Doug

That's an interesting lesson, thanks.

I like your guitar.
It reflects the light like the star of Bethlehem :D
What make is it, strings, microphones and recording arrangement are you using.
The recording sounds great.

Dermot

dougyoung

Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:58 pm

Hi Dermot, those lights are mostly coming off my computer screen! I need to find a way to filter it down a bit...

This lesson was recorded sitting directly in front of the computer, so not my normal video or audio recording setup. I have a pair of Gefell M300 mics (small condensers, kind of like KM184s) going into a UAD Apollo preamp, then into a Black Magic ATEM mini video switcher, which also takes in two cameras. The switcher lets me just push a button to select a different camera, while keeping the audio from the mics constant. I'm recording the resulting video/audio feed in OBS, free video software that's meant to support streaming, but it can also just record. A. bit faster than the approach I use for You Tube videos where I record to multiple cameras and a separate audio recorder, then import and sync up the various sources from SD cards. The mic/video/switcher setup is what I've been using for live lessons and workshops, so I'm trying to leverage it to record for this kind of video lesson.

The guitar is a Charis small junbo (SJ), made by luthier Bill Wise, and I'm using Newtone double-wound strings at the moment, something new for me, but I'm liking them. You can order all custom gauges, so I've been able to fine-tune them to what I like. But I have to order them from England.

suprams

Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:33 am

hey its really cool.

thereshopeyet

Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:52 pm

Doug
I like this Away In A Manger lesson.
Thanks.

Last year I worked on Neils' arrangement solo of Rudolf (Need to check it out again :oops: )

Thanks for explaining your recording arrangement.,
The lights aren't that bad, honest ! :D

Merry Christmas 2020

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic