Way Over Yonder by Carole King

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGNeil

Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:30 am

Hey Folks,
Today we have a new lesson from Vanessa, Carole King's Way Over Yonder-

Way Over Yonder is a song by American singer-songwriter Carole King. It appears on her multiple Grammy Award winning 2nd studio album ‘Tapestry’ (1971), which is celebrating its 50th anniversary.

The arrangement and progression are far from straightforward. It starts in the key of C, and moves up a whole step to D later in the song. For that, there are many chords, including a lot of different inversions (slash chords).

The strumming is with swing feel, really slow, and picking out the bass notes is a must.

This lesson doesn’t necessarily teaches how to copy King’s amazing piano playing. This is rather a way of how I would accompany myself on the guitar, instead of the piano. In my opinion copying the overall feel of the song is the most important aspect, with still enough room to dress it up too.

michelew

Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:20 pm

TGNess - WOW! WHAT a beautiful song and such a lovely rendition that you’re teaching us here. Somehow it’s sad and so full of hope for a brighter future at the same time. Seems like a perfect choice for these crazy times.

I love so much about this song, the feel, the colourful chords, the stresses... I have to admit that I don’t really know it. It feels a little like an Eagles song too. I really should get Tapestry. I also don’t know enough Carole King songs.

Thanks so much for bringing this beautiful song to us and making it accessible so that we may be able to play it as beautifully as you one day.

Thanks teach. Love your work.

Shel

TGNesh

Sat May 01, 2021 4:56 am

:blush: So good to hear you like the song and my rendition/lesson! I just instantly fell in love with it, just gorgeous....

And yes, Tapestry is an awesome album. Can't believe it took me so long to get to it. What a wonderful songwriter and performer.

Many thanks Shel! xoxo

michelew wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:20 pm
TGNess - WOW! WHAT a beautiful song and such a lovely rendition that you’re teaching us here. Somehow it’s sad and so full of hope for a brighter future at the same time. Seems like a perfect choice for these crazy times.

I love so much about this song, the feel, the colourful chords, the stresses... I have to admit that I don’t really know it. It feels a little like an Eagles song too. I really should get Tapestry. I also don’t know enough Carole King songs.

Thanks so much for bringing this beautiful song to us and making it accessible so that we may be able to play it as beautifully as you one day.

Thanks teach. Love your work.

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic