Superstar by The Carpenters

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGNeil

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:57 pm

After a few years of playing this, and teasing TG with it, today we have a lesson on The Carpenters version of Superstar by Leon Russell and Bonnie Bramlett.

Superstar has an interesting history. Written in 1969 by Leon Russell and Bonnie Bramlett, and first recorded by Delaney & Bonnie And Friends under the title Groupie. It was the B side of a single that didn't do much, it was also recorded by Rita Coolidge as part of Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs And Englishmen tour in 1970. The next year Richard Carpenter heard Bette Midler perform it on the Johnny Carson show and it went on to be a big hit in 1971 for The Carpenters.

This lesson goes over the chord progression with accompaniment suggestions using arpeggio picking, as well as lightly percussive fingerstyle technique. There is a detailed breakdown of the intro as arranged by Richard, which is a bit challenging on the guitar. Of course, alternative approaches are shown.

nconroy

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:20 pm

Thank you Neil!!! It’s songs and arrangements like this that keep me inspired to play my guitar. You’re an amazing teacher.... I found the alternate picking styles, you offered in this lesson, particularly edifying. Thanks again, Neal Conroy

Lisa.C

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:31 pm

This is really beautiful. The Intro section looks like fun! Thank you, Neil!!

LIsa

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic