Dear Prudence - Solo Guitar Arrangement

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGNeil

Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:55 am

Hey Gang,
After last week's request, and my thoughts on the TG News, I had a good time putting together this solo version of Dear Prudence. It is not really difficult. Here are the Preview and Play Through. Check it out and I hope to hear some of you working on it soon.

At the request of a student I thought I'd look into putting together an instrumental arrangement of John Lennon's tune Dear Prudence, which was released on their 1968 album The Beatles (aka The White Album). I was surprised how well the bass line and vocal melody came together, with all the bass notes on the bottom three strings and the melody notes on the top three strings. It turned out to need very little left hand movement, although there are a few somewhat unusual finger configurations.

unclewalt

Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:05 pm

Great! I'm looking forward to digging into this. Thanks for it.

It took me a few days to get the picking pattern down, a little longer than I thought it would, and I'm still having trouble with the main part working off the D. It's a tough to not mute any strings. That's harder than I thought it would be, too, but with repetition, it's already getting better. It's funny how, at least for me, I can learn these elaborate, difficult songs and yet seemingly simple ones can still be a challenge.

EDIT: I watched the Intro video. Interesting: in the 2009 lesson, you gave all the options, but suggested playing the D as John likely did, with the little finger on the A string. I've tried all of them (the barred D is a no-go for sure) but so far have had the best luck with John's. But I'll keep trying both.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic