Sentimental Lady by Fleetwood Mac/ Bob Welch

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGNeil

Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:32 pm

I recently moved on from my Linda Ronstadt & Dan Hicks detours into a Fleetwood Mac one, particularly the pre-Stevie/Lindsey incarnations. Today I finished a lesson on Sentimental Lady, which I have played instrumentally for years. This lesson looks at how it was played on Bare Trees and later by Bob Welch on a solo album.

In 1971 Fleetwood Mac went through quite a few personnel changes, one of which completely changed their sound from Peter Green's blues vision to a smoother rock sound with the addition of Bob Welch on guitar. Bob and Danny Kirwin directed the double guitar lineup, complimented with a much greater contribution from Christine McVie.

Sentimental Lady is a beautiful tune from Bob Welch that Neil has played instrumentally for years. Some recent requests got him interested in looking back at the original and doing a lesson on the way it appeared on Bare Trees in 1972, and a few years later on Welch's album French Kiss.

The song is in the key of E and uses all six primary chords. The lesson also looks at a couple different approaches to playing the intro. One is simply the way Bob played it live in 1981 but the other combines multiple guitar parts and tries to cover three independent lines.