Aguas De Marco/Waters Of March by Antonio Carlos Jobim

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGNeil

Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:11 pm

Hey Everybody,
A few weeks ago one of my students was interested in learning this cool bossa nova tune, Waters Of March. She was familiar with a version Basia did and I checked out a bunch of them before deciding to put this lesson together the way Elis Regina did in a duet with Jobim. The lesson includes a measure by measure sheet that should give you the ability to play along with that recording, which is included as a segment in the lesson.

Aguas De Marco, Waters Of March is one of the most popular bossa nova tunes from the pen of Antonio Carlos Jobim, AKA Tom. Like most of his pieces it is full of unusual chord inversions that will prove challenging to any students who have not played much jazz. It really only has three main sequences of four measures each, but they are arranged in different orders and include a quite few variations.

This lesson goes over common (and uncommon) bossa nova right hand techniques and patterns, has very detailed looks at the chords and sections, and includes a complete play through that matches up with the recording by Elis Regina and Jobim.

castillowcr

Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:58 pm

Hi Neil,
I know this is not the best spot on the forum to ask this question but I don't know how to create my own topic. I purchased your song Play Me by Neil Diamond and love it. I hoped, however, it would include the guitar lead toward the end of the song. Any chance I could persuade you to make a video on that acoustic lead? I would love to hear how you broach that piece. Thanks so much for considering this request.

Best,
Curtis

TGNeil

Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:37 am

Hey Curtis,

Thanks for the message. We have a Forum to Request A Lesson, but this is fine. I will take a look at the lead and try to add it to the Play Me lesson.

Neil

David-TZZ

Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:20 am

Thx for this lesson Neil. I know the song from Art Garfunkel’s version on his Breakaway album from the early 70s and have been wanting to learn it ever since then….

TGNeil

Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:59 am

Glad to hear that!

I did not listen to Art's version but it is likely a bit different, as far as the chords and arrangement. I will check later.

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic