Peter Frampton - Baby I Love Your Way

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGNeil

Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:18 pm

A couple days ago Scott pointed out that TG was sadly lacking in Frampton tunes. I got inspired to bump one of hie to the top of the list and here is Baby I Love Your Way.

Baby I Love Your Way was one of a handful of tunes by Peter Frampton that ruled the airwaves and concert stages in the mid-1970s, especially when Frampton Comes Alive rode the top of the charts in 1976. The song owes a bit to Paul McCartney in that he borrowed voicings from Blackbird, then threw in a few jazzy chords leading into the chorus, finishing with a bit of an anthem feel in the chorus. Get out those lighters as the outro sojourns on…

This lesson looks at the way Frampton has played it live, acoustically over the years, basically strumming through the progression and varying the pattern a little. We use some barre chords out of the E family, as well as a moveable C family shape, and even bring in a 9th and a 13th chord (although there might be more accurate names… Cmj7/D?).

skaladar

Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:17 pm

Well Neil. I've been pretty quiet in the forums for some time now since arthritis is not being kind to my guitar playing but this weeks news forces me to speak up :-)

Many years ago I added a number of Peter Frampton's tunes to the "suggest a lesson" thread. I couldn't understand why such a popular artist seemed to be ignored here at TG. I assumed that since he wasn't primarily know for his guitar skills he wasn't being considered. I even played a version of "Baby I Love Your Way" I had been playing for over 30 years in the "Busking" thread to try to bring a little more attention to his omission..

viewtopic.php?f=209&t=19634&hilit=skaladar

I'm very happy to see you're now giving some attention to Peter Frampton.. I'd even like to add my 12 year old upload to the student review at which you could take a look. I was playing from memory then so I had no tabs or even sheet music at the time. A review would certainly be most helpful to let me (and others) know what was right and what was wrong.and how I can "clean it up" so to speak.

I'm not sure of the mechanics of the new (to me) board so it may take some trial and error before I get into queue for student review. Hopefully someone will give me a hand.

♫ Ken ♫

TGNeil

Mon May 01, 2023 10:59 pm

Hey Ken,

Great to hear from you again. And again, I have to apologize for neglecting Frampton's songs for all these years. I just watched your video from 2011 and have to say it was pretty good. Suggestions would be to slow it down a little, play the full barres for the Bm7, Am7 and D13 (mainly in the intro, you did use them later), and try to add the passing bass notes between the C and G in the chorus.

I'd love to see something more current from you if you are up to it. Try the Student Reviews link on the Lessons page. We just got it back to working.

Please stay in touch!

Neil

pjroberts

Tue May 02, 2023 8:29 pm

I’m one who has been waiting for this and Frampton in general since you launched like a long time ago, and was super excited to see another classic rock gem. And of course, as you hinted, now you can only follow up with Show Me the Way. I learned both together a long time ago but know I’ll pick up a lot (and maybe fix a lot) from your versions.

Also, my initial thought when I learned the intro the first time was “OMG it’s like Blackbird in reverse!”

Thank you!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic