Mad World by Tears For Fears

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGNeil

Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:16 pm

Hey Gang,

Nesh has put together a great lesson on Mad World. Check it out when you can.

Mad World is a 1982 song by British band Tears for Fears, and became their first international success. 

It was successfully covered in 2001 by Gary Jules for the soundtrack of the film Donnie Darko. The members of Tears for Fears later commented that they thought this version fitted the lyrics better than their own version.

The arrangement taught in this lesson is inspired by and based on a performance with vocalist/bassist Curt Smith and his daughter Diva on guitar, who recorded the song in an acoustic setting at home during the Covid-19 pandemic. This video went viral. 

The lesson breaks down the melodic intro, which re-appears several times through out the arrangement.. We take a look at the chords (in two different keys), a fingerstyle pattern as well as how to strum it. 

guitardude7

Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:19 pm

Great version! Was very tricky for me to get the intro/outro down, but once I got that it fell into place nicely. Love the different variations on the chords you showed us!

TGNesh

Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:51 am

Awesome, great to hear that!
guitardude7 wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:19 pm
Great version! Was very tricky for me to get the intro/outro down, but once I got that it fell into place nicely. Love the different variations on the chords you showed us!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic