Dead And Gone by Gypsy

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGNeil

Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:46 pm

Hey Everybody,

Here is a song that I would think most of you are not familiar with, Dead And Gone by Gypsy. They were part of the Southern California scene in the late 1960s, releasing their first album in 1970. It was a double LP, following the path started by Chicago a year before. I encourage you to check out some of the other songs on their first two albums.

Dead And Gone is a jazzy/progressive tune by Gypsy, and is the main, and longest track from their eponymous debut album, released in 1970. The driving forces in the band were guitarist/vocalist/songwriter Enrico Rosenbaum, and keyboard/vocalist James Walsh. They were a mainstay in the Southern California music scene in the late 1960s, after relocating from Minnesota.

The song is really a medley of two unrelated musical ideas with a couple spacey interludes connecting them. Each of the main ideas (Song A and Song B if you will), consist of multiple sub-parts starting with a bluesy vamp over an A7 chord, then including some country/folk strumming, a rock riff-based chorus, a progressive transition to some jazzy piano, and even a little pop. All of these parts are covered in the lesson and the student is encouraged to play along with the included backing track, which has been pitch corrected from the original recording, which is a few cents higher than standard pitch.

Lisa.C

Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:37 pm

Wow, I love this!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic