Bobby Vee - Take Good Care Of My Baby

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGNeil

Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:51 am

Hey Everybody,
Reaching way back to a Carole King and Gerry Goffin tune made famous by Bobby Vee, Nesh has put together a lesson on Take Good Care Of My Baby.

Take Good Care Of My Baby is a song written by Carole King and Gerry Goffin, and made famous by Bobby Vee, when it was released in 1961.

This lesson shows how to play it with chord shapes in the key of G, as Vee does. Keep in mind that he tunes his guitar a whole step down, which puts it in the absolute key of F as done on the original recording.

Another option would be to play it with shapes in the key of E, and capo the guitar on the 1st fret. We take a look at that as well.

Both keys have quite a bit of challenges, in particular because of a keychange near the end of the song, where all the chords go up a half step. For that anyone tackling this song must be comfortable playing barre chords.

The strumming is fairly straight forward, yet uptempo. It has a bit of swing feel and could be done with a simple folk strum. Also alternating bass notes and a little percussion here and there, adds a great sound to it.