REO Speedwagon - Time For Me To Fly

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGNeil

Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:15 pm

Hey Gang,

Nesh is still on an REO Speedwagon kick and brings us a very detailed lesson on Time For Me To Fly.

Time For Me To Fly is a song by American rock band REO Speedwagon, released in 1978 as the second single from the album 'You Can Tune A Piano, But You Can't Tuna Fish.

It features only three chords in the key of D (D-G-A), which you could simply play in standard tuning.

That said, the lead singer Kevin Cronin, who also wrote the song, usually plays it with Open D-tuning (DADF#AD). But in another occasion, like during The Midnight Special (1980), he played it with chord shapes in the key of E (E-A-B), with all strings tuned down a whole step. (DGCFAD).

Probably the biggest challenge is the timing of the chord changes. Very often they appear on the offbeats and are all over the arrangement. For example, the 'and of 2', the 'and of 3', the 'and of 4', the 'ie of 4'. All in all, you must be somewhat comfortable strumming in general.

This lesson breaks it all down!

guitardude7

Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:32 pm

Thank you so much for doing this! I've watched your preview and the two progression videos and I already can play along with the song in Open D. I can't use my thumb that way but used my index finger over the top and that worked out well. Now, to watch the rest and play it in E tuned a whole step down!

TGNesh

Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:47 am

Awesome! Glad to hear that!
guitardude7 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:32 pm
Thank you so much for doing this! I've watched your preview and the two progression videos and I already can play along with the song in Open D. I can't use my thumb that way but used my index finger over the top and that worked out well. Now, to watch the rest and play it in E tuned a whole step down!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic