Love Me Tender - Harmonization Lesson

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGNeil

Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:28 pm

Hi Gang,

The response to my harmonization lesson on Can' Help Falling In Love inspired to get on another, Love Me Tender, with a little more complex set of chords. This also works a bit on listening to Elvis' recording (included with the lesson) to help sort out the problems. I hope you enjoy it!

Love Me Tender is an early Elvis Presley classic, and we have had a complete lesson on the basic accompaniment and chord progression here at TG for years. This lesson takes a different approach–figuring out the chords on your own using a combination of music theory and listening.

We start with a theory review of the key of D Major and its triads, then follow up with what chords contain any given notes, with the goal being to harmonize the melody using triads in the key. There are also a few chords outside the key, and the theory behind those is explained. We have included Elvis’ original recording in the lesson for the student to listen to while working out the chords.

The lesson ends with a segment on a basic accompaniment version (much like our original look at Love Me Tender), and some thoughts on putting together your own solo arrangement.