FOTW Tangent - Angel From Montgomery & As (Stevie Wonder)

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGNeil

Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:58 am

Hey Gang,

Last week I had an interesting project. I was asked to play a tune at an old friend's memorial service, as well as accompany a couple of his relatives on songs by John Prine and Stevie Wonder. Backing Sara up on Angel From Montgomery was an easy no-brainier, but she and her cousin Ben were also planning on doing Stevie Wonder's As to a backing track. I gave a quick listen to the song, figured I could put together a acoustic back up, make a quick draft recording of it and sent it off for their opinion.

They liked the idea, and the lighter feel compared to the driving original (which seemed more appropriate for the occasion), and we decided to give it a go. We got together the morning of the event to rehearse the tunes and I figured I might as well break out the camera.

I thought some of you might like to see how it went so the session has been added to our Fly On The Wall series as a free lesson, available to all. Here are the complete takes of the songs and some behind the scenes look at Angel From Montgomery and Stevie Wonder's As.

Lisa.C

Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:50 pm

Neil and All,

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. That cover was incredible and very moving. A beautiful tribute. Thank you for sharing it,

Lisa

auntlynnie

Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:23 pm

Wow! That version of Angel from Montgomery was fantastic! Sara has a wonderful voice!
Lynn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic