The Alan Parsons Project - Old And Wise

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGNeil

Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:24 pm

Hey Folks,

I recently got a message from my dear friend and singing sister Corina. Most of you have seen her in videos all over TG. She thought I should record an accompaniment to Old And Wise, then she would add a vocal for an addition to our Acoustic Snapshot Series.

I had considered the song as a lesson a few years ago but got sidetracked a day or two later and it fell to a back burner. With Corina's suggestion I moved it to a front burner, made a quick draft of an accompaniment track, and sent it off to her. I became completely captivated with the beautiful song, written by Eric Woolfson and sung by Colin Blunstone on the 1982 album Eye In The Sky, and thought it was time to get back on it for a complete lesson.

This all materialized just a couple days ago and she is still working on the Snapshot vocal but I had to strike while the iron was hot and the lesson is live now.

Old And Wise is the closing cut on the Eye In The Sky album by The Alan Parsons Project, released in 1982. The track was written by Eric Woolfson, with some input from Parsons (reputedly), and they brought in Colin Blunstone, of Zombies fame for the lead vocal.

The song is a very sophisticated composition, with different parts in the keys of A minor and C minor. This lesson goes into how a solo guitarist could accompany a singer, incorporating a lot of the keyboard accompaniment part found in the original.

Not a great video, and terrible audio but Colin singing with Parsons in 2018-

And a fabulous video of his from a few years earlier doing a Denny Laine tune-