Rocky Raccoon - The Beatles

Feel free to get outside the box here.
richardk

Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:11 pm

Latest cover, obviously inspired by Neil's open seven chords. :) Let me know if you like this interpretation.

Petex

Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:35 pm

Hey man: SOunds good what is your set up i.e. your mic and what you are recording to on the audio side? I am trying to set up an inexpensive home recording deal. Are you recording through an interface to a computer or something else?

Thanks
Peter

richardk

Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:43 pm

Yup, that's pretty much it. I have this condenser mic that I run through a preamp/mixer with a little reverb and then into my mac. I think that you can get condenser mics with a USB jack these days, so if you plan on recording with a computer, that might be the way to go.

ffsooo3

Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:59 pm

Nice. Beatles are always fun to do but always impossible to match! The only comment I'd make is that you should use a pick (and not your thumb) to get a cleaner/crisper guitar sound.

rcsnydley

Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:55 pm

Very nice Richard. The Beatles are always fun.
Please, consider joining The Beatles group if you haven't already, I'm sure you could add some great stuff. Perhaps some Beatle song instruction videos.

Keep Playing
Ric

Petex

Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:10 pm

Thanks Richard: I just got a line on a portable recorder called Zoom H2 which seems to get half decent results using built in mics. Seems like the recording equivalent of a point and shoot camera so I will check that out as well as the USB mic.

Cheers
Peter

richardk

Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:53 am

Thanks guys.
Regarding pick: Yeah, I should play it with a pick but I can't do it yet. I'm not real good with picks yet, just not used to it. But I'm working on it.
Regarding mics: I think, if you want to get a really v. good-sounding guitar recording, you gotta go with a mic that you can position freely as opposed to a built-in mic. Positioning is so important since it can affect the guitar sound immensely. For decent live recordings of voice and guitar (like in my videos), a built-in mic should do fine, but for solo high-quality guitar parts, I think you need (at least) one mic that you can set up any way you like. But obviously all this can be discussed endlessly. I guess it's important to just work with what you got. Better do a decent recording without any need for setting things up than spend all afternoon setting things up and ending up with no recording (like me on occasion).
Keep in mind though that a USB mic and a half-decent recording software (e. g. GarageBand) are much more versatile.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic