How do I remember all the music?

Feel free to get outside the box here.
neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:08 pm

Hey musicdoc, it's not age that matters. Like Bear says earlier in the thread, you know lots of songs and then you sit down at the camp fire and nothing comes up. I decided to make a song book with all the songs in it that I could actually play (mostly camp fire versions) with lyrics and chords and sometimes little fretboard diagrams to help remember something. Turned into 200 songs with photos, annotations, anecdotes and side stories. Great fun to do and I have it with me with the guitar all the time and as a pdf in my laptop. It's amazing how well your memory works with that kind of help! And others find it really interesting too.

Music Junkie

Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:41 pm

kipchris wrote:
I keep a little spiral notebook (3" x 5") as a song list. It's small enough to go into the pocket of my guitar case. I write down the songs and annotate with the chord sequence.

ie:
I Love a Rainy Night - Eddie Money
C,F,C
G,Am,G,F,G
Chorus: C,F,G (x3)

I even draw strumming patterns and/or little chord diagrams for chords I don't know by heart yet or are different than how I know how to play.
Now that sounds like a great idea. Have to point out though, that Eddie Rabbitt did I Love A Rainy Night......:)

AndyT

Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:46 pm

Chris, send me a copy of that PDF?

RicksPick

Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:58 pm

Very Intresting idea Chris

I have trouble remembering 6/7 tunes

RicksPick

AcousticAl

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:21 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
kipchris wrote:
I keep a little spiral notebook (3" x 5") as a song list. It's small enough to go into the pocket of my guitar case. I write down the songs and annotate with the chord sequence.

ie:
I Love a Rainy Night - Eddie Money
C,F,C
G,Am,G,F,G
Chorus: C,F,G (x3)

I even draw strumming patterns and/or little chord diagrams for chords I don't know by heart yet or are different than how I know how to play.
Now that sounds like a great idea. Have to point out though, that Eddie Rabbitt did I Love A Rainy Night......:)

How did I know MJ would catch that?

:laugh:

rcsnydley

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Hey musicdoc, it's not age that matters. Like Bear says earlier in the thread, you know lots of songs and then you sit down at the camp fire and nothing comes up. I decided to make a song book with all the songs in it that I could actually play (mostly camp fire versions) with lyrics and chords and sometimes little fretboard diagrams to help remember something. Turned into 200 songs with photos, annotations, anecdotes and side stories. Great fun to do and I have it with me with the guitar all the time and as a pdf in my laptop. It's amazing how well your memory works with that kind of help! And others find it really interesting too.
I won't mind a copy of that PDF either.

Lavallee

Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:24 pm

I would appreciate having the PDF as well. Not sure if can you attached stuff in the TG EMail so mine is [email protected]

Marc

Chasplaya

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:50 am

Those asking for Chris PDF miss one valuable point the actual writing of it would also assist with the memory and you would write it in such a way that you understand it... SO if Chris does send a copy I recommend for this weeks homework you all copy pages 1 -4 three times and be ready for questions on Monday!

There are a few books on the market 'Little Black Book' range of various styles and bands, these books fit neatly into a case. Other times when I go to a jam with mates we all have stands and our folders with tabs charts etc. so what if you need the music, do you see many Orchestras without music??? NOte even Neil has music just off camera

rcsnydley

Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:53 am

Chasplaya wrote:
Those asking for Chris PDF miss one valuable point the actual writing of it would also assist with the memory and you would write it in such a way that you understand it... SO if Chris does send a copy I recommend for this weeks homework you all copy pages 1 -4 three times and be ready for questions on Monday!

There are a few books on the market 'Little Black Book' range of various styles and bands, these books fit neatly into a case. Other times when I go to a jam with mates we all have stands and our folders with tabs charts etc. so what if you need the music, do you see many Orchestras without music??? NOte even Neil has music just off camera
Chas, I do that very thing and have a pretty extensive collection. However, I am not sure if everything I have is correct as a good portion of it was given to me, the rest I have added. Whenever anything new comes up I check my "database" first to see if I have it and then work from there. I either use it or correct it if need be. With that being said I am always looking to add to it and amend/correct what I already have.

BTW - I would be willing to share anything I do have though I can not guarantee the accuracy of all of it as I have not been through it all and there are some songs in it I will never get to.

Chris, my email is [email protected]. Thanks.

Ric

heyjoe

Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:27 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Great idea Chris, I think its a great confidence booster when you realise how many songs you can play. When your learning guitar many people only care about whether you can play songs they know or not...partners patience can be tested to the limit if you're working on the same part of the same song for the 30th time this month, however, if you play a few tunes as well, it shows progress, and minimises the irritation. Think I'll start my own book up, of tunes I know, pdf, comments etc etc,

In terms of sharing our pdf's and books etc, I know that this has been mentioned on here already, and there are issues, however, a possible solution would be for those who are willing to do such a thing, would be to swap email addresses and email each other the relevant information-I'd be happy to participate in such an exchange.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic