How do I remember all the music?

Feel free to get outside the box here.
neverfoundthetime

Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:30 am

Caught me sleeping guys! Al just PM-ed me to make me aware of the interest in the songbook pdf. I'm very happy to share what I have complete with all it's inaccuracies and imperfections and personal anecdotes with my TG friends. Just send me your Pm on internal TG mail and I'll get it done over the weekend. My pleasure:)

bazzaspain

Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:09 pm

I found the more I simply played from the book the less it imbeded in my brain, as others suggested learn a section that you can play without the book then expand on it. I also find that if I'm learning a new song playing a section that you find easier and can do right helps if other sections are harder. Once you are comfortable with the bit you find easier then bite off little bits more until it all becomes easier
I used to try and remember all kinds of songs too, now I just try and limit the ones I like and can sing (very badly to).
I'll play other songs from the books and try songs I don't like if they have something in them that's a bit different or a bit of a challenge, but I won't bother trying to remember them, there doesn't seem a lot of point if you don't like them or they're out of your range
I try and go over the tunes I know maybe a dozen or so at a time, every couple of days so as to keep them in mind, it's easy to find you forget a part if you haven't played it for a while
The other thing to do is try and work out how to play some tunes yourself without ever looking at the music. Pick a key, get your chords in mind then scratch around, it might take a bit of trial and error, but if you start with simple tunes it's a worthwhile thing to do. The biggest tip I can suggest if you do that is when you've played the next chord options and not found one that fits then try the chord you were playing instead, the biigest problem is looking for a chord change when there isn't one. Of course that maybe just me being dumb:(

helloworld

Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:51 am

DaveMBeamsville wrote:
LOL... I find it hard just to remember WHAT SONGS i know... once someone suggests a song, I can often remember the chords, but when the boys say "what should we play?" I come up blank.
lol, I've experienced that before!

As far as remembering the chords in the songs, you've already received great advice; repetition and break it down.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:21 pm

Something else I've found myself doing is remembering either the lyrics or the chord progressions better than the other. So I use the songbook but just focus on the part that is not 100% in memory. Sometimes it's just one chord that's missing or one verse... but without the help of the magic book... the song can't be done! If a chord is a problem, I'll make a diagram of it as a picture is more easily understandable for me... especially when under pressure of a listening audience.

helloworld

Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:59 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Something else I've found myself doing is remembering either the lyrics or the chord progressions better than the other. So I use the songbook but just focus on the part that is not 100% in memory. Sometimes it's just one chord that's missing or one verse... but without the help of the magic book... the song can't be done! If a chord is a problem, I'll make a diagram of it as a picture is more easily understandable for me... especially when under pressure of a listening audience.
Dude, you just reminded me of another technique! This doesn't apply to all songs, but it works well with some. I've found that the chords and the vocals often ride along with each other. Example, guitar switches to a D chord as the singers voice gets higher. Sometimes I can remember which chord to go to by thinking of the singer in my head. There's definitely nothing wrong with using charts though. I love having charts to look at so I can see what's coming up after the next chord. If I see there's a hard switch two moves from now, it gives me time to prepare and get all nervous so I'm sure to miss it! LOL, I'm kidding, it gives me time to get my fingers closer to the board, make sure my wrist is correct for the switch, etc.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic