Beautiful Fool by Don Henry

Feel free to get outside the box here.
opentuning

Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:31 pm

Anyone know where I can find the Chords/TAB for this song? I couldn't figure it out from the You Tube version. Looks like he does it in standard tuning with the low E dropped to D. He sings it at Capo II. Thanks!

rcsnydley

Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:13 pm

Have you tried, e-chords, ultimate-guitar, chordie or 911tabs?

Keep Playing
Ric

petedgra3

Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:16 pm

The accompaniment is based on B-chord shapes, mostly in first position. This is clearest on the chorus, which is I-IV-V (B-E-F#). Even here, he occasionally throws in his funny substitutions (see below).

FUNNY SUBSTITUTIONS: The verse is fundamentally a repetitive IV-V pattern (you can see this in the YouTube version by Sane), but Don Henry only suggests chord movement on the sixth string by alternating notes open and at second fret. Otherwise, he plants his second and third fingers on the third and fourth strings, where they would be if he was playing the V chord (F#). He leaves the first and second strings open and follows each pluck of the sixth string with arpeggios on the top four strings. He moves his index finger between the sixth and fifth strings, but, as far as I can tell, the fifth string is never plucked. The movement is only to fret the sixth string open and at the second fret.

So...the verse has two "chords:" 0X4300, and 2X4300. The chorus and bridge have more standard chords, including minor chords. You will hear also some of the funny substitutions throughout.

Don Henry's YouTube performances show him playing this arrangement with and without a capo, and with the capo at different positions.

Sorry this is eight years in coming. I hope you found your solution long 'ere now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic