What Would You Pay to Learn Directly From Neil?

Feel free to get outside the box here.
TG-Ronald

Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:00 pm

Hi,

Some TG members posted a question about what the T.A.R.G.E.T Program would cost.

Neil is a friend and Teacher of mine... I'm an extreme beginner by the way.

Out of curiosity, what would you be willing to pay to learn to play directly from Neil?

Thanks,
Rasheed

AndyT

Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:19 pm

Well, that depends. If I actually had money, then I'd have to say he is worth $50/hr. Maybe more. I know that here in Hawaii, that is a pretty high price. The problem is that my wife's cancer medication costs a fortune. Thats why I look for the free lessons.

hutz13

Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:49 pm

I took some lessons a few years ago and paid $30 for a half hour but with youtube and the internet you can find lots of free instruction so it's hard to say. Neil seems like a very good teacher so I hope the Target program is affordable.

haoli25

Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:56 pm

How about barter? I would be willing to part with some of my Sirius-XM stock, or maybe some GM stock. lol

RicksPick

Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:23 pm

Would you take a kidney?
Sat up here in the UK waiting for the comp
Rick

TGMatt

Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:11 pm

Hmm, back in 1985 Neil was $20/hour. :)

One definitely needs to keep in mind the varied costs of living around the world. $50/hour for Neil in the SF Bay Area is probably fairly reasonable. Up here in Oregon (which has the third highest unemployment rate in the U.S. currently) it is steep. Not to mention the difference between actual face-to-face lessons versus online where one is subject to the capricious nature of the internet (delays, outages, etc.).

Those who have the $$ and like the idea will go for it. As for me, let me check my investments......er....maybe my 401k?.......umm.......dang.

AndyT

Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:24 pm

Hey Greg-

You must be getting old, it was $20 per half hour...

Neil

Chasplaya

Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:58 pm

;) You ain't kiddin'! Weren't we on the Gold Standard back then?

You were (and are) worth every penny!

leeson

Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:56 pm

Well, hourly rates are for truly personal lessons not online lessons so it should be cheaper since it is more like a group lesson.

kipchris

Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:13 am

I, like the rest of you, have been considering the question of cost... what the lessons are worth vs. what I can afford to pay. There is no doubt in my mind that the lessons are worth a $30-$40/month membership fee... I just can't afford it. If the membership program was $5-$10/month... well, I could donate enough blood in a month's time to cover the cost if I found the lessons worth it.

This becomes a question of "approach". Does one take the Neiman Marcus or the Wal-Mart approach? Higher cost which narrows your buyers, vs. lower cost which everyone can afford?

I did a quick mental exercise based on the number of members following the Target program on Twitter - 2,791 followers as of this writing.

2791 x $5/month = $13,955/month

... and that's just the folks following on Twitter. I would venture that the number of individuals actually willing to participate at that cost would at least be equal to that, if not actually closer to 75-80% of your entire member base... TO START!!

Really... do you NEED to charge more than that?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic