Target videos

Feel free to get outside the box here.
we289

Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:29 pm

Ref. my last post, I was replying to TG-Ronald about using Google Chrome for my browser to see if it made the Target Videos play any smoother but it didn't.

we289

Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:10 pm

Hi Columbo,

I was actually checking out a beginners lesson today as I myself am a beginner and one of the first videos has Neil showing how to even hold the guitar and how to place your thumb and arch your fingers. So it really starts very basic.

I hope this helps

cosmicmechanic

Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:11 pm

we289

There is a big difference in the video on TARGET and the free site. The TARGET videos are higher quality videos. That makes them bigger files to stream across the internet and to process on your computer. The current TARGET files require more computer power and bandwidth than the free site. We are releasing lower bandwidth videos this week that you should be able to play as they will be similar to the free site videos.

map4242

Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:05 pm

I've been fighting the choppy TARGET video problem, too. Out of four computers I've tried (windows PCs), one worked well even though all were on broadband connections. Two are single core, Pentium 4's 3.4-3.6 GigHz with medium high-end video cards, [1 gig ram] and played choppy. One wouldn't play them at all because the website won't acknowledge that the correct version of the flash player is installed. The one that worked is a dual core processor, 2.x gig, [probably 2 gigs ram] built into MBd ordinary video.

The two computers that play TARGET videos choppy, stream HD TV shows very well.

It seems that a dual core or better processor may be needed to use the hi-res videos.

I do have to say that when I finally got to see a video play correctly, full screen, it was awsome. Great detail to see how he plays.

Mark

The computer that wouldn't play them at all because the website wouldn't acknowledge that the correct version of the flash player was installed, now plays them. I haven't changed anything, but the flash is happy now (yes, I had rebooted). They also play very well. It is a 2.4 GigHz Core 2 Duo, and 3.5 gigs ram.

For all these tests, I waited for the video to fully downloaded (cached) to be sure I was only testing the computer's ability to play the videos. The one that had the flash problem has the slowest connection and will not stream the videos, but they play fine once they're cached.

I've just checked the TARGET videos with my new computer, which play great as expect for a core 2 duo, 2.8 gigHz, 6 gig ram. The surprise was my broadband is down from a really windy day, so I'm online with a 3G cell phone. It's only good for about 768K download (slowish DSL), but the hi res videos almost stream. After they cache, they play perfectly, of course. :)

bhudson

Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:11 pm

If your videos are choppy do a speed test and post it here. I have my own high speed, so the say from my local phone company and most videos are choppy. My son who is in the same house has cable high speed for playing his x-box. Using his connection I have no problems at all.

Do a search in google for speed test and post the results here. Hope this helps as it gets annoying. Sometimes you just have to hit play then pause and wait for the full download then hit play!

Brad

guitarmac62

Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:09 pm

I had problems as well, even after I downloaded the Adobe Flash Player upgrade & restarted my PC, it didn't recognize the upgrade. After re-downloading & re-booting about 4-5 times it finally took. The only issue I have now is that the videos take quite a while to load & I connect to the net via a broadband connection (1Meg+ download/3K+ upload). My PC is new (just bought last week!). Maybe all the protective software &/or firewall are causing issues.??? The mini-lessons in the non-member area work fine.

leeson

Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:08 pm

Hi everyone,

We will have videos of the same quality as the free site online by Friday. So if you are unable to stream the current TARGET high quality videos hang in there.

Thanks,
Mike

ronb1191

Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:06 pm

I use IE 7. Why does it take so long to download and watch a TARGET video? I have Fiber optic w/ 10M download speed and sometimes, quite often in fact, the videos won't even download. If they do download they have pausing like it is still trying to download incrementally. It is very frustrating trying to watch a lesson that stops and starts and causes the video to go out of sync. Sometimes it appears to be still shots in a slow sequence with broken sound. If you expected so many people to sign up for the TARGET program I would think you would provide plenty of bandwidth so lots of people can watch the darn things. So far I am not happy I spent the money to sign up.

I was very excited to have these lessons available to me, but I am frustrated trying to watch them. BTW, I have no problem with YouTube videos or other video sites so I am sure it is not my browser or computer.

Thanks

MarkM

Fri May 01, 2009 12:37 am

Hi Ron,

Sorry for the trouble. Today we have started uploading the You Tube quality videos into TARGET on the lesson pages and will continue throughout the day tomorrow.

There are a lot of variables involved as to why a video may not play well for some people. As far infrastructure/bandwidth we are using the same network Amazon does and the same exact technology. (That is all I can say on that ;) )

Checkout Blackbird to see how it plays for you. It is a representation of the experience you will be having on all songs as we upload the regular formats in addition to the already existing high quality videos.

Sincerely,
Mike

lavendercreek

Fri May 01, 2009 4:33 am

Hi, I upgraded to TARGET last night and like many others, couldn't play the videos so I was really happy to hear that you'd be offering the videos with smaller file sizes. Thank you!

Ok, I just tried to play the smaller files and while they are certainly faster and smoother, I am still having alot of trouble. The video starts to lag way behind the audio and sometimes freezes completely while the audio keeps going. I've tried waiting until the entire video is loaded and it helps but I am still experiencing alot of chop and lag between audio and video. I tried the song Blackbird as you recommended and had the same problem.
I have no problem however watching the Blackbird video that is available under the regular TGVideos and have no problem watching your YouTube videos.

I hope this will be something that can be rectified with time because I really really really want to be able to use Neil's Target program. (did I mention that I really really want to do this?) :side:

Thank you for all your hard work on this issue!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic