Choppy Videos

Feel free to get outside the box here.
we289

Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:47 pm

I tried to respond to the other thread about this but it was locked out. I am having the same issues. The free videos play fine but the Target videos are choppy. I sent a more detailed email to support before I found the other thread about this issue. Glad I'm not the only one having this problem...

Jimmer

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:43 am

I'm an IT Admin guy (but not THIS site's admin... :-) and I can probably offer some insight. Neil's videos in the TARGET section are all done in HD - therefore there's probably a LOT more video information that's streaming to you - it's the side effect of having great picture quality.

If your internet connection is marginal or in the 1-1.5mb range, then you probably will experience choppiness as the video tries to make up for a slow connection by buffering to your PC. I notice the same choppiness you're talking about at home (with my 1.5mb wireless microwave link - I live in the country, one of the only broadband options open to me), that I DON'T have at work with my T3-grade bandwidth.

My home solution: START the video and set it on pause until the entire video buffers (you'll see the faint grey bar go all across the screen to 100%). THEN play the video.

Hope this helps...

> Jimmer

rcsnydley

Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:39 am

Hi Jimmer, I tried that option and it doesn't work, but I do have another though more time consuming work around.
I download the videos using Download Helper, I then convert them to avi using Format Factory (the flvs don't play well on my system) then I watch them using Winamp. I found that Winamp is the only video player that work to play them in high quality and having the audio and video synched up.

Keep Playing
Ric

hutz13

Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:40 pm

The main computer I use is a 5 year old desktop with only 1 Gig of Ram, I'm on high speed cable but I think the Ram deficiency could be the main problem because when I use my laptop which is only about a year old the target vids play nicely.

I read in another thread that they would be supplying a low bandwidth version of the target vids so hopefully that should accomodate most computer and connection challenges.

Jim

we289

Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:23 pm

Where can I get Download Helper, Format Factory, and Winamp. Are there free downloads for these programs or would i have to purchase them. I'm lost when it comes to this computer video stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

I

RicksPick

Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:07 am

Hi all

I use VLC player to watch flv's so no need to convert them
best of all its free and the best Video player, its wot Firefox is to ie.
Luckily I can view vids ok, just takes a long time to stream
I find they play better in full screen

RicksPick

rcsnydley

Fri May 01, 2009 9:36 am

We289 - They are all free, just Google them.

RicksPick - I will take a look at VLC player. I can play the FLVs in Media Player Classic, but they are choppy so I convert them. They are high quality and play great in Winamp.

Keep Playing
Ric

jgmorten

Fri May 01, 2009 7:13 pm

The new lower resolution videos are still choppy on my Mac. I have no problem playing the free stuff like "Lucky Man". I have contacted TG support. If any mac users find a solution please post it!

hoop

Fri May 01, 2009 10:09 pm

I'm using a Mac and having no troubles. The solution that works for me (using Safari) is exactly what Jimmer suggested above...start the video rolling and pause it, then wait for the entire thing to download. Then press play and watch. That should at least eliminate any effect of the network connection on this.

Alternatively, you could try the download approach suggested above. RealPlayer will play videos in this format, and has a Mac version.

Lavallee

Sun May 03, 2009 10:51 pm

Mike at TG just post that they found the problem for the choppy videos. They fixed Blackbird, I tried it and it seems to work fine. Good stuff!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic