Davey Graham's Anji

Feel free to get outside the box here.
bluesdaemon

Sun May 03, 2009 12:53 pm

Neil,

One of the reasons I signed up for The Target program was to see your lesson on Anji that you refer to in your promo for advanced players. I cannot find this lesson. Is it available yet?

Separate question, is there a section that contains all of the advanced lessons?

Derek

Lavallee

Sun May 17, 2009 5:13 pm

Neil, you said many times you would make a lesson on Anji. I understand you have many project to tackle at once. I would like to know in the mean time which version do you plan to teach. The original from Davey Graham or Bert Jansch version. I have the tab for both (thanks to a forum participant). I would like to start working on it before the lesson. But before I spend too much time on the song I would like to make sure which one will be in the target program. I would be even nicer to have your tabs ahead of time:)

Thanks
Marc

Lavallee

Sat May 30, 2009 7:23 am

For those who are not familiar with Anji, here is a link to this amazing rhythmic fingerpicking folk song.

Marc

stormbikes

Sun May 31, 2009 4:05 am

Yes my vote is for this version - please please please!!

stormbikes

Sun May 31, 2009 10:45 am

Marc-

Great work tracking down the original. Now that I have finished a couple of classic fingerpicking pieces, I can turn my attention toward Anji. i have a few other TARGET projects ahead of it but it will probably be my next instrumental lesson. I hope to look at Davey's, Bert's and Paul's versions to some extent, although the point of the lesson might be how to improvise your own version.

In any case, it's on the drawing board.

Neil

Lavallee

Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:41 pm

I found Bert Jansch's version which I think is more interesting.More muscle than the Davey's original but not as speedy as Paul Simon's.

Marc

moleboy

Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:54 pm

I don't care which version I learn - they're all good :laugh:

If there was one song I'd like to play on the acoustic more than any other, it's Anji. Every time I play my Best of Bert Jansch CD he taunts me with Anji :dry:

On a somewhat related note, I went to see Davey Graham in concert a few years ago along with a few hundred other fans at a small club in Scotland. It turned out to be quite a disappointment - a few flashes of brilliance interspersed by a bunch of Romanian folk songs and hours of endless tuning his guitar between songs.

Of course we were all waiting for Anji; when it was requested by a member of the audience he said that if we wanted to hear Anji we should go to a Bert Jansch concert because he did it much better.

Anyway - I'm still glad I saw him, he was really stunning when he was in the zone that night.

It would be fantastic if we had a version of Anji to learn from TotallyGuitars. I only know the first 4 bars and it must be driving my family mad hearing that over and over again :unsure: Neil - do it for the kids ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic