Downloading Lessons

Feel free to get outside the box here.
spags

Tue May 12, 2009 11:51 am

Hey guys - Just tossing this out there. I'm pretty sure that the TG guys don't want these videos downloaded. Use the link below to check out an admin's (Mike) response in a related thread.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum?fun ... 67&id=1300

I thought there was another post somewhere where an admin said people would get booted for downloading but I can't find it. I could be remembering wrong.

I might be mis-reading Mike's post, but as of now I don't think they want the videos downloaded. This may change in the future.

We all know there is always a way to grab content, but it is probably not a good idea to provide instructions to others about how to do it.

Like I said, that's just my two cents.

Music Junkie

Tue May 12, 2009 12:01 pm

You're right, I apologize. I had e-mailed Mike about that once and forgot! If I do remember correctly, he said they are working on something to help out those who are having problems. Hopefully that will be coming soon and this will be a mute point. Thanks for pointing that out.

rcsnydley

Tue May 12, 2009 12:22 pm

Spags - Thanks for the reminder. I certainly don't want to ruin the great thing going here. And I don't want to be barred from using it either.
Thanks again.

Keep Playing
Ric

Music Junkie

Tue May 12, 2009 12:33 pm

Another quick note:

I have downloaded a few clips from Youtube and burned them to DVD for my son who is learning to play the piano (just short little clips for intros to songs he likes and such). I did not even take the time to differentiate between the two though (youtube being a free service and this being a pay site). In my haste to try and help out, I did not even stop to consider the possible abuses. I guess I have a tendence to look on the bright side of things. Sorry again for any improper info.

MJ

spags

Tue May 12, 2009 12:48 pm

Yeah I know exactly what you guys are saying. Everyone on this site is so helpful, sharing their own tips and techniques and thoughts. In a forum its just natural tendency to share knowledge, especially in the community type atmosphere that has seemed to develop at this site.

I was just lucky enough to stumble across that post by Mike and for some reason it stuck in my head. If I hadn't seen it or if I had forgotten it, believe me I would have been right there posting about downloading with you guys. Obviously not to share the content with non-paying members, but to help others who have paid and wanted to use the content offline.

I’ve resisted the temptation to download any of the TARGET videos, but last night the internet went down just as I wanted to work on a song. At that point I was wishing I had cheated and grabbed a video or two! Haha.

Music Junkie

Tue May 12, 2009 12:58 pm

Yeah, I read that post by Mike and actually contacted Allen about it shortly after. Then I go and pull a brain fart like this, not even thinking about it. A serious case of letting my mouth get the best of me. So many people have helped me out already on this site that I get a little over-excited about trying to return the favor. Guitarmom made a decent point though, that it does get abused and that is unfortunate. I just don't really go there, so I don't stop to think about it. Kind of naive, I guess.

As far as grabbing that vid last night, I hear you. It would be frustrating. Knock on wood, I have not had that problem yet (although with the internet, it is just a matter of time - lol).

MJ

AcousticAl

Tue May 12, 2009 1:28 pm

Wow- this topic is getting a lot of attention.. and rightfully so.
This is an amazing site and I wouldn't want anything to jeopardize it.

To reiterate my earlier suggestion (2nd posting), which doesn't involve downloading/ DVD burning etc--
If you have to practice in a secluded area/part of your property, then a wireless router and a laptop might be the way to go. If your laptop speakers are too quiet- a cheap pair of external speakers would do the trick.

Works for me and I can watch the 'normal' quality vids wirelessly with no problems.

Music Junkie

Tue May 12, 2009 1:50 pm

Yeah, I have a laptop with a built-in wireless network card. I get good speeds and no apparent viewing issues. I do have an upgraded video card (ATI Mobility Radeon X1400) for some other (work related) programs I have to run, so that could be one of the reasons why the viewing is good for me. Also, I usually start the next video and then pause it while I am watching the current video. This way it buffers farther ahead and reduces any possible choppiness. My speakers are just the built-in as well. Not the greatest sound, but more than ample to get the lesson across.

jimcjimc

Tue May 12, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi Everyone,

Please do not download the content from the site. We want you to enjoy it and are looking at different ways in the near future to deliver the content to you. By future I don't mean in a year but can't say exactly when.

So stay tuned but for now please respect our request which is to be considered a condition of membership and don't download the content. We have not stopped working hard towards making this site better for you. Neil and everyone involved in this site really cares about your comments and this issue.

Thanks,
Mike

gswarren

Tue May 12, 2009 8:59 pm

Hi all,

Just returned from a business trip and and saw the extensive discussion re. this topic. I started the post with the honest intent of personal use - in my garage. However I fully appreciate the concern of distribution outside the target club.

The benefit here is too good to risk and we all wish nothing but financial success to Neil and co. If a a workaround were to be developed for such a need that would be a great future benefit.

Thanks to such a great and helpful group. I appreciate all of your responses.

Best,

Glenn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic