Downloading Lessons

Feel free to get outside the box here.
gswarren

Sun May 10, 2009 10:38 am

I've been kicked to the garage to practice and unfortunately do not have a computer in that location. Is it possible to download lessons to a DVD so I can practice along with the lesson? Sure would be easier than coming back in to check on a part, then going back out to try it out...

Any help out there?

Thanks!

Glenn

AcousticAl

Mon May 11, 2009 6:52 pm

I feel your pain, Glenn!
I have to play the electric in my basement with headphones on one ear, and listen to my laptop speakers with my other ear to hear Neil's instructions! Sad but true.

A wireless router helped me out. I can stream Neil's low-res/quality videos ok. However, I can't stream his high-quality videos fast enough to view them.

That might be a work-around for you if your garage isn't too far away from your house/computer.

Al

rcsnydley

Mon May 11, 2009 8:16 pm

Glenn - If you use Firefox install Download Helper (it's free) it will put an icon on your toolbar, use it to download the vids. Then you can burn them to DVD.

I convert them to AVI files because they work better for me, but this may not be necessary for you. If you do need to convert them, I use Format Factory (also free) and then play them in Winamp.

Keep Playing
Ric

dustystrings

Tue May 12, 2009 8:01 am

Do you create playable DVDs? I would love to be able to do that. As it is right now I have to play the videos on my laptop and I would love to be able to play along with Neil on our large screen with better sound, especially the sound. I cannot play quietly enough to hear my weak laptop when trying to play along.

Music Junkie

Tue May 12, 2009 9:34 am

I have found that simply renaming the .flv extension to .avi works great for me. I then use a program called "convertXtoDVD" and it burns a great DVD to play in my stand alone player on the TV. I have not tried that with the Target vids yet, as my internet connection is very good at home. However, the clips from the free side have worked great. I also use firefox and have the download helper add-on. If you don't have a DVD burning software or if just renaiming the flv to avi does not work for you, you can use the following:
DVD burning software: DVD Flick (free download) just google it.
Software to convert flv to avi: alltoavi (also just google it and it is free).

Hope this helps.

MJ

Guitarmom

Tue May 12, 2009 10:27 am

I can understand that that are extenuating circumstances that may require thinking outside the box regarding watching Neil’s videos to practice. However, I am sure that if Neil and his team wanted these to be downloaded they would have made those provisions available on the site.
I am NOT trying to be the ‘hall monitor’. I am just suggesting that while technology does exist for downloading and repurposing the videos, that in so doing we may place an incredible resource in jeopardy. If those downloading videos kept them solely for their own use and NOT post them ANYWHERE… and not “give just one copy to a friend” then chances are that all would be fine. But if you are honest with yourself, and candidly acknowledge human nature, then you know that a valuable resource like this can be ruined by a small handful of ‘well meaning’ individuals. The TG team has spent countless hours and financial commitment to provide subscribers an opportunity to grow their personal skills. This is a business that was built upon professionalism, talent, skill and dreams. It was created by taking a love of music and porting it to a medium, from which, we as subscribers can all benefit.
If these videos start showing up elsewhere, then you will have slain the goose that laid the golden egg. I really enjoy what Neil and his team, has brought to us, and would be heartsick if it was lost.

Just a personal observation...

Rev Kate

rcsnydley

Tue May 12, 2009 10:56 am

Kate,
I understand what you are saying and share your concern. However, for some of us downloading is the only way to take advantage of these awesome lessons.

I can not watch either the high quality or the lower bandwidth vids from the site. I have to download them and convert them to AVI as the FLV files are still choppy. I can't even just change the extension as suggested above, it doesn't work. Even after conversion I can only watch them in Winamp.

I have a great internet connection so I don't think it is a bandwidth problem, more likely a video thing. Be that as it may it leaves me with only one alternative, downloading.

Keep Playing
Ric

Guitarmom

Tue May 12, 2009 11:04 am

Ric,

I believe that it is not as much a question of the pros and cons of downloading... but what users do with the file once they have it.

Best,

Rev Kate

rcsnydley

Tue May 12, 2009 11:11 am

Agreed and I would hope that everyone who loves this site as I do, and as you obviously do also, would keep your warning upper most in their minds and act in a responsible manner.

Keep Playing
Ric

Music Junkie

Tue May 12, 2009 11:49 am

I agree with you Guitarmom (especially the point you make about the hard work and generosity of the team)! I think that rcsnydley and myself were just trying to help out someone who is having a hard time using the clips. I make the assumption that the users are honest and respect Neil and the team for working their tails off to bring us this great site. That being said, you are, unfortunately so, totally correct in your assessment of human nature and the possible problems with that. Like I said above, my internet connection is more than capable of viewing the clips with no problems. Hopefully others will find a way to view the clips in a convenient platform.

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic