Forum Board Suggestions

Feel free to get outside the box here.
rcsnydley

Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:06 pm

I have a few suggestions, if I may, for some forum boards.

*Music Theory - any music theory questions or discussions, but especially pertaining to guitar.

*Song Writing - techniques, chord progressions, lyric writing, fun exercises/competitions i.e. write a song using a given chord progression (I, IV, ii, V), etc.

*Singing - all things vocal, how to sing and play, warm-up exercises, etc.

This would give all of use an opportunity to share our other musical skills and interest and broaden all of our musical horizons.

Thanks for listening and please feel free to add to or amend my list.

Keep Playing
Ric

Chasplaya

Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:38 pm

Great idea ric, I just set up a Group for Tab , given the amount of queries I seem to get on the topic, so this is an extension of that concept. However, I think this might need some moderation as we don't really want to contradict theory that comes from Neil too much.

rcsnydley

Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:17 pm

I feel the forums should be open for input from everyone, even the 'Ask Neil' section allows for comments by others. I do agree that if someone puts outright bogus or at least uninformed information it should be removed or corrected.

However, if someone post information that is accurate but just not how Neil might present it is no reason to remove it. Sometimes the best way to get a thorough understanding of something is to see it from different perspectives.

Keep Playing
Ric

Chasplaya

Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:32 pm

I don't mean that just cos something doesn't exactly follow Neils thoughts or ideas it should be removed, as constructive comments and critiscm are good and can be healthy, I think care needs to be taken if the information all be it well meaning is wrong. Contradictory stuff could also be more inhibiting as opposed to helpful. PLus this is Neils site and he should have a level of control over what is taught and delivered... jeesh I sound like a 'suck up!'

rcsnydley

Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:45 pm

I hear you Chas, erroneous info should definitely be removed. I just want there to be a free flow of information and also to encourage participation by all members. And, as it should be, Neil and his team of moderators should be the final judges as to what is posted.

Keep Playing
Ric

Chasplaya

Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:05 am

Ric, I think we agree just saying things differently lol

Chasplaya

Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:26 am

I don't feel a theory board would supplant Neil's teaching. Chances are, he might even appreciate a little help with the more basic inquiries. The main difference, I think, between Neil and a theory board is that Neil teaches, the theory board discusses.

rcsnydley

Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:04 am

gingold, great distinction, yes I'm talking about an open discussion with members helping members. Also, in the other sections I suggested this could go a long way as others may have unique perspectives and experiences.
Which suggest to me another board, Performing. There are those here who have performed before and know what it is like. There are those here who would like to perform and may have questions. Also, it could be some just telling great "on the road" stories.

Keep Playing
Ric

alan_va

Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:14 pm

Hey Guys (and Gals?),

I would love to see this idea take off and just drop in when it seems appropriate. I will work on it. 10- 9- 8- 7...

Neil

Chasplaya

Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:31 am

gingold wrote:
I don't feel a theory board would supplant Neil's teaching. Chances are, he might even appreciate a little help with the more basic inquiries. The main difference, I think, between Neil and a theory board is that Neil teaches, the theory board discusses.
I think this has merit and as long as it is moderated to ensure we dont get erroneous stuff posted.

Neil, I think we are all guys on this thread to date. I know it might be classed as a Rights issue but it would be good to know sometime just who we are talking to, call me old fashioned but isn't that kinda important if you don't weant to offend ?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic