Lessons for the "playthrough" versions

Feel free to get outside the box here.
unclewalt

Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:01 am

Sorry if this question has been asked already - I did a quick scan but didn't see it. I wonder why the lessons and tabs don't match up with the playthrough versions. It's pretty frustrating -- I'd like to learn, among others, the playthrough versions of "Landslide," "Wish You Were Here," and "Waiting on a Friend."

If you're planning to update those lessons, there's no indication of it that I can see.

Great site otherwise, though.

Thanks.

unclewalt

Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:21 am

hmm. the "forum" seems kind of pointless. Ah, well.

BigBear

Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:37 am

Sorry your questions went unanswered. I'm not a "TARGET" member so I don't know the answers to your questions. Have you tried emailing Neil? I'm not sure he reads the forum posts that often (busy doing other things probably).

BigBear

Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:37 am

Unclewalt- welcome to the forum! I didn't fully understand your posts but I think you are asking for the entire song tabbed out. I think Neil is primarily doing the intro, 1st verse and chorus. You need to fill in the rest. He does provide the chords and lyrics where appropriate.

With over 10,000 people on this site and everyone of us asking for new songs, I'm amazed he's provided what he has so far. If you need specific tabs try going to the tab group and someone there can probably point you in the right direction.

There are amazing resources on this site. Just jump in and ask the questions. It may take a couple of days but usually you'll get some response.

Happy playin'

Rick

unclewalt

Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:20 pm

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure how much more clear I can make it. In the Target section's "playthrough" videos, Neil often plays different, more-interesting (and more difficult) renditions of the songs from what the actual lesson teaches. He plays the melody lines. So, you watch the playthrough of, for example "Wish You Were Here," and you think that that's what you're about to learn. But the lesson -- a very good one, by the way -- contains only the rhythm, lead, and chords. Which is fine, but I wonder why the playthrough video promises something that the lesson itself doesn't deliver, and I wonder whether the lessons will at some point be expanded to actually teach what he's playing in the playthroughs.

This is true for many of the videos, including "Landslide" and "Waiting on a Friend." And several people have asked on the pages for those lessons exactly the question I'm asking here.

Thanks again. As I said, the site is mostly great, and this isn't a complaint so much as a question. There is no explanation given, that I could find, for the disparity between the playthrough versions and the lessons themselves.

unclewalt

Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:54 pm

I will try to keep these responses easier to find but here is the short answer-

Ripple & Other TAB Differences

Neil

AndyT

Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:42 pm

Could someone please copy and paste Neils response over to this thread? Its in the Target section and is not readable by free members.

unclewalt

Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:01 pm

Excellent, thanks. Glad to hear those lessons are forthcoming.

unclewalt

Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:04 pm

Neil's earlier response:

From Neil

I have a few lessons where the Play Through is done differently than what is presented in the lesson. Some of the songs I do this with are Madman Across The Water, Who'll Stop The Rain, Wish You Were Here, and Ripple. Most of those include playing multiple parts together, turning it into an instrumental solo.

Most of the lessons in the Song Library are designed to teach you how to play the song, as if you were the guitar player in the band, or to play and sing it by yourself. The solo instrumental versions of many of them will be added as I get to more of the advanced lessons.

Neil

AndyT

Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:13 am

Makes good sense. Thank you for the post unclewalt.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic