Info Flood

Feel free to get outside the box here.
frybaby

Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:10 am

No question about it many of the lessons are outstanding.

Lots of information, background, technical, side bars, theory, random comments, etc, but it all come a bit to fast for me.
Anybody else feel like that?

Some time the lessons are all over the map.

Would Neal be aposed to poping a few tranquilizers, or perhaps a shot of Jack Daniels?

If he is into natural products, St John's Wart might be a consideration.

BigBear

Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:54 am

Kinda like getting a sip of water from a fire hose, right? I went through and printed out every song study, built a notebook, put tabs in it, and tried to play every song. That was a bit overwhelming! Now I just pick a few a really like and work on those every night.

I love the way Neil did "Paint it Black". I'm working on several Neil Young songs and several Pink Floyds. That's enough for right now. My fingertips are killin' me!!! LOL!

Happy playin'

Music Junkie

Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:10 am

BigBear wrote:
Kinda like getting a sip of water from a fire hose, right? I went through and printed out every song study, built a notebook, put tabs in it, and tried to play every song. That was a bit overwhelming! Now I just pick a few a really like and work on those every night.

I love the way Neil did "Paint it Black". I'm working on several Neil Young songs and several Pink Floyds. That's enough for right now. My fingertips are killin' me!!! LOL!

Happy playin'
I made a binder as well. I have the songs alphabetized by artist and then I can just pull them out whenever I need them to practice along with a video. I find it very helpful. I like being able to play the video bit by bit and have the paper in front of me to aid in my floundering.......

It is amazing though, because I find myself getting all wound up when I see Neil play the song so fluently and then hear myself play the same song so pathetically. My wife just cracks up when she hears my little smart remarks during practice sessions.....

That being said, i have found that I am better on every song now. I still consider myself terrible, but now just not quite as terrible....

MJ

BigBear

Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:08 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
My wife just cracks up when she hears my little smart remarks during practice sessions.....MJ
That cracks me up!! I have a wife that doesn't support my music passion very well. She constantly asks me when we can sell my babies, I mean guitars! She constantly complains "why does anyone need four guitars?". I'd have 50 of them if I could afford them!! I found a really cool bumper sticker from a local guitar shop that says "Your wife just called, she said you don't have enough guitars". I thought it was hysterical. My wife didn't even laugh!!

But I digress. Watching the ease with which Neil plays guitar can be intimidating. But Neil is a professional musician and classically trained. I'm just an amateur hacker. I can never expect to play like that. I'm a civil engineer and I'm pretty sure I can do things in my profession that Neil would find incomprehensible. But engineering is pretty darned boring compared to a sexy career like guitar. I play golf too and I don't hit the ball like Tiger either (or ever).

Well, hang in there and give yourself a pat on the back for whatever progress you are able to achieve. I think the guitar is a series of small victories bracketed by intense frustration!

Music Junkie

Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:19 pm

[/quote]But I digress. Watching the ease with which Neil plays guitar can be intimidating. But Neil is a professional musician and classically trained. I'm just an amateur hacker. I can never expect to play like that. I'm a civil engineer and I'm pretty sure I can do things in my profession that Neil would find incomprehensible. But engineering is pretty darned boring compared to a sexy career like guitar. I play golf too and I don't hit the ball like Tiger either (or ever).[/quote]

I too am a civil engineer, and I find myself trying like hell to find math in this damned hobby of music... I just cannot help myself (lol). Sit me down with some calculus and I am right at home, but sit me down and tell me to play a song smoothly and I might look at you like you are smoking something funny........

As far as golf goes, I play about once or twice a year, and it is extremely hilarious. Fun game, but takes entirely too long. I have two kids at home and have to coach baseball, soccer and basketball. I have little enough time for guitar, let alone golf! Oh well, I practice when i can and it REALLY is like therapy for me.

Cheers!

MJ

haoli25

Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:25 pm

OH NO!!!!! The place is getting cluttered up with
engineers! And I thought this was a nice place... lol

BSEE, here. lololololol

Haoli

BigBear

Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:32 pm

That is just too funny! A bunch of engineers trying to learn music!! You'd think that as logical as music is supposed to be it would be easier to learn but it has really been a struggle for me!

It's good to have some fellow Propeller Heads on this forum!! LOL!

Music Junkie

Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:34 pm

EE! You should be designing amps and effects (lol)!!!! Maybe we can put our collective heads together and come up with a formula to ease in the learning process. My favorite has always been: "When all else fails, X=8!"

Cheers!

MJ

haoli25

Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:46 pm

I have been 'faking it' as an engineer for
37 years. I have been 'faking it' as a
musician for 44 years. You would think I
would be better at both by now. lol

Fortunately, I was never drawn in to golf. The
windmill was too much of a challenge for me.

Haoli

Chasplaya

Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:47 pm

haoli25 wrote:
OH NO!!!!! The place is getting cluttered up with
engineers! And I thought this was a nice place... lol

BSEE, here. lololololol

Haoli
Did ya hear about the constipated Engineer,,, He worked it out with paper and pencil....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic