need to cancel my membership

Feel free to get outside the box here.
BigBear

Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:44 pm

goldleaf wrote:
Bear, again, you are right, & my bad. Don't scallop your guitar Tom. There are better ideas, like trying nylon strings. I have played a scalloped guitar and it definitely was easier to barre but with my normal pressure it stretched the strings out of tune. My thought was if you were not pressing down with normal power scalloping might work but I was wrong. Just trying to think of anything to try to keep you from giving up Tom. Lots of good suggestions so far, mine wasn't one of them. Good luck. Gary

Gary- I hate to say it but I think Tom is long gone. I haven't seen a post from him in months. Geez, I hate to see a guy give up this wonderful instrument due to frustration! I suck and I still can't wait to get home from work to play again. I'm only two days post surgery and I'm going nuts waiting to play again. I'm like a damned little kid! That's how much joy I get from music and the guitar. Don't know what it is but when I'm playing all my troubles go away, at least for awhile.

Maybe Tom will come back if he was truly bitten by the guitar bug! But I doubt it because people truly bitten don't give up easy. And most newbies understand that it is going to take a very long time to get good on any musical instrument. :cheer:

goldleaf

Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:16 pm

Bear, this is getting scary, it's like you are reading my mind. I thought the same thing about Tom, everybody was giving input so I thought I'd put my 2 cents in, but I looked back and he never responded so I was thinking, Toms a goner even when I wrote my piece. If I had a junker I think I'd file the heck out between the first few frets just to see for myself what difference it makes. Just so I could say I tried it. I know Neil is right but it still think it would be fun. Gary

goldleaf

Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:02 pm

Bear, don't I feel foolish. Tom made one post about 3 months ago and here I am telling him to file the heck out of his fretboard. Man, with friends like me who needs enemies. Although I do have to say, I feel a little, itty bitty part of TG is gone, guess we have to mourn and move on. Gary

quincy451

Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:14 pm

So Tom has left the building. I did about the same in 2001 so I know what he is going through. I returned because I find guitar playing relaxing and challenging. And I like both those aspects. For why to scallope a fretboard look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalloped_frets#Scalloping

It's about string bending.

goldleaf

Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:05 pm

Yea, Tom has gone missing, maybe walkabout. Hey that was a great article on scalloping. Neil says it is a good way to ruin a guitar. Still like to try it on a Strat knock off, which there are many of & they are cheap. Thanks for the info. Gary

quincy451

Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:10 am

I understand the desire to try it. Would be nice to find some about to retired instrument and try it on that. The idea being it's going to be junked as the next step anyway.

I wonder what Niel is thinking. "good way to ruin a guitar". That is a conclusion. Has he ever put his fingers to a instrument with this feature?

Not knowing what he is thinking. I can speculate you have a flat fret board or one parrell to the radius of the fret. You put your finger down near the fret to the wood and you get good tone and tone in tune for that note.

I am thinking you scoop out the bottom and in order to hit the same tone and pitch you have to be a fraction of a inch above the wood. You hit the wood and you have a bent note. Who's got the control for that. I don't...heck on a radius neck I am having a problem with the high E string dropping off the bottom of the fretboard. But that is what you get when you drop the tension of the string down as far as you get it. The
string is going to move around if not held in place.

So Neil what is your opinion on this and why?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic