need to cancel my membership

Feel free to get outside the box here.
tomman

Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:08 am

I am sorry but I need to cancel my membership. I am afraid I will have to give up trying to play the guitar,at least for now.

I have been practicing everyday for at least 0ne hour. I spend 15 to 20 minutes of that time on the easy F chord and Barre chords. I have been trying this for about 6 months and have not made one Oz of progress, not one Oz. That is why I joined your Target group. I have watched your videos on barre chords and the easy F chord over and over but it did not help. I just can not play the chords.

I have read everything I can find about playing barre chords but nothing seem to help. I have become very frustrated to the point that is has affected my other playing and I am just to mad to continue.

I may try some private lessons after I get over the Frustration,but for right now I am completely fed up with even trying to play. If by chance I am able to learn the barre chords through the private lessons and then be able to play better I will more than likely rejoin your group

I am 73 years 0ld and I feel my fingers are just to stiff to be able to play the way I want to plus my fingers are very big. I believe if you can not give it your best then don't attempt it. I have invested in some very good guitar gear. I have a Taylor acoustic/electric and also a Finder American Strat with a very good Amplifier. I do not believe that my guitars are the problem.

I am sorry that I have to do this but I see no way out at this time. I can not afford to spend the money on some thing I can not use and does not help me. Maybe later!

Sorry,

Tom Mantooth
[email protected]

AndyT

Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:33 am

Tom,

I have a friend that is on a wheel chair and her fingers were so stiff she actually could not bend them, only fold them over. She has been doing finger exercises for about a month now and her hands have loosened up a great deal.

I completely understand you having trouble with learning how to play barres. you really need to have someone sit down with you and look at your fingers as you play. They should be able to help you pinpoint the problem.

My friend now is able to play basic open chords. She is working up to changing them smoothly now.

I know you can do this. Just have to find the right person to sit down with. What area do you live in? Maybe there is someone close by who can help you.

I also have really fat fingers. It just takes more practice.

Rod

Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:11 am

Hey Tom trust me everybody goes through this with the F chord. You seem to be letting it wind you up. The guitar is one of those things in life that give you the eureka moment one day you pick it up and the F chord just works and the high you get from it will be greater because of the effort your putting in. Maybe you need to take a few days off and come back with a fresh and rested mind. I found that when I was trying to get the easy F it was easiest to move the shape up the neck to the 3rd or 5th fret where the tension of the strings isn't such an issue. Don't look at the big picture to much break it down into chunks. Try just using the little bar on the high E & B strings (straighten the knuckle) keep in mind you don't want that little finger pointing to the floor or to the right this means your hand position is wrong. The little finger needs to be somewhere like a right angle to your fret board. If your finding this hard it maybe your holding the guitar to low take a look at Neil's body position the angle at his elbow the height at which he holds the neck. Then try adding the second finger to the third string and check your hand position ect... mind you it will still take time. Maybe use a long mirror to keep an eye on your body position I guarantee you'll find when your getting frustrated your body position is hunched or your dropping your left shoulder to compensate for bad body/guitar position. Break it down even use a note pad to note your position eg. is your little finger still in good position at each stage, your body position. The good news is this all becomes automated and will help with every aspect of your playing in the future its not just to master the F.

Good luck Tom and use the mirror.

Rod...

mark

Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:51 am

I have wanted to give up playing many times over the years.
But after a couple of days I always give it another go.
Learning to play the guitar can be a very frustrating experience but also very rewarding.

The F chord is always difficult for everybody. Remember that there are many songs that you can play without using an F.
Why don't you concentrate on those and just practice the F chord a little bit each day and then eventually it will get easier.

Also if it's possible for you, you could upload a video of you playing the F and Neil could take a look and give you some advice.

willem

Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:03 am

HEY THANKS, GREAT TIP FOR ME AS WELL, I DO NOW MAKE THE LITTLE F WITH A STAIGHT FIRST FINGER AND MAKE HIGH E AND B WITH THE MIDDLE PIECE OF THAT FINGER, AND I SEE THAT I'M ALSO CLOSE TO THAT FULL F CHORD,THANKS:laugh:

6string

Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:20 am

Hope you find a solution, maybe a wider necked electric and or
higher frets? slide guitar?

Here's a few videos that may be of inspiration

the 1st is a ukulele player with big fingers,

2nd and 3rd have no fingers, they play with their toes.

BigBear

Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:28 am

tomman wrote:
I am afraid I will have to give up trying to play the guitar,at least for now.
Tom- I can fully respect what you are saying, if you aren't getting better why waste the money? I can't walk in your moccasins so I don't have a clue what frustrations you are experiencing.

But it may help to go back to why you wanted to learn the guitar in the first place. The guitar, and music in general, is a great stress reliever (or giver in some cases LOL), it forces us to focus and keeps our minds sharp. It keeps our fingers working and nimble. Or it could be as simple as you just always wanted to do it. Have any of your reasons for picking up the guitar changed? Probably not.

When you watch or listen to a great performer play it looks so effortless. But it ain't and everyone on this website knows it. It's damned hard work!! I dearly wanted to become a better fingerstyle guitarist. Then I crushed my right hand in a tractor accident and messed up my fingers pretty bad. So fingerstyle is out but I can still hold a pick. And all those core reasons why I love this instrument so much are every bit as valid. Maybe I even appreciate it more now.

If you don't think this site is valuable or you don't like the songs, that's one thing. But if it's simply frustration that makes you want to quit put the guitar down for a day, week or month and see how much you like NOT playing. If it feels okay to not play then give it up. But if you are like so many of us the guitar calls us back and like an old friend is waiting for us to pick it up, tune it up and start plinkin' again. The guitar is powerful drug, but this one is healthy and harmless and on those rare occasions when the stars align, it may even sound pretty good! At least to my old ears!

And who said you need barre chords to play the guitar? You can play 98% of all songs without using even one barre chord. Barres may make it easier or give you more options but you don't NEED them! Learn to play without them.

And finally, you're 73 years old for Pete's sake. You aren't going to be the next Eric Clapton or Jimi Hendrix. Play to have fun, play for you and find the joy in the music you do make!

Happy playin'

Rick

AndyT

Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:30 pm

The big guy on ukulele is Braddah Iz. Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. A much loved local performer here in Hawaii. Too bad he's passed on.

Bear is right. You do not need barre chords to play most songs. And if you use a Capo, even less do you need barres.

steve36

Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:38 am

Hi Tom
I'm a mere 52 but feel your pain. I would suggest one thing before you give up (and I hope I don't break any rules here.....if I do please delete the link I am about to post).

I live in the UK and have used Newtone strings which are available and made here. The strings have a much lower tension and may just be what you need, these are quality strings make no mistake..............the ones you need are the Heritage strings.

Here's one place I found them on your side of the pond.

http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/neheacgust.html

Please do do do try these strings, I think they will help not just with barre chords.

Please let me know how they work out for you

Steve

Chasplaya

Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:12 pm

6string wrote:
Hope you find a solution, maybe a wider necked electric and or
higher frets? slide guitar?

Here's a few videos that may be of inspiration

the 1st is a ukulele player with big fingers,

2nd and 3rd have no fingers, they play with their toes.

Why do the guitarists have cutaway guitars?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic