JAMES TAYLOR

Feel free to get outside the box here.
kirbySfan

Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:00 am

Kirby Swinemar posted now on YouTube an advanced "campfire" version lesson of "Carolina on my mind" based on strumming with some nice details. For non-pickers it may be good enough, also for beginners.
However, in my opinion only the detailed picking version like that of Mike Herberts sounds professional.

goldleaf

Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:01 am

I would also like to see at least one song by Richie Havens although he may not be a great guitar player he is a great song writer and his tunings and strumming techniques would be worth at least learning about. Gary

musicdoc522

Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:51 am

I love james Taylor but his songs are not easy to learn. To play them the way James does, requires some skills in the advanced level, and is a real challenge for intermediate players. There are ways to modify his songs and still make them sound like the record. The difficult sections are usually the parts where he is not singing.

Ed

musicdoc522

Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:17 am

Kirby,

I like this version, though the instruction is a bit too fast. No slow break it down section. I have the two Mike Herberts versions. His colleague actually does them. The play it like the artist version is quite difficult. HIs easy version is ok but leaves out a lot of the signature sounds. They would have been better off making an in between version that most intermediate players could learn without too much struggling. This strumming version is quite good, but would be greatly improved with tab showing the chord progressions.

Ed

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic