JAMES TAYLOR

Feel free to get outside the box here.
haoli25

Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:26 pm

Only teasing you Neil. I think everyone knows that you do like James Taylor....it's Neil Young that you hate! lololol

musicdoc522

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:41 pm

My take on the Mike Herberts James Taylor lessons done by Jerry Lambert. There are two versions of each song. The easy play version and the Play it Like the artist version. I find the easy versions to be too easy with almost no signature riffs and the play it Like the Artist to be quite difficult. In other words one version is for a beginner and the other for an advanced player with no intermediate version. All in all the lessons are very good but you really have to work hard on the Play it Like the ARtist. Maybe Neil can put out some JT lessons that are designed for an intermediate player.

musicdoc522

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:43 pm

I love the Target Program and I love the campfire songs. I think Neil does an excellent job of providing quality lessons for all levels of ability. I am also excited about the great selection of songs. I am a boomer and these songs are geared for someone like me. thanks.

haoli25

Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:25 pm

musicdoc522 wrote:
My take on the Mike Herberts James Taylor lessons done by Jerry Lambert. There are two versions of each song. The easy play version and the Play it Like the artist version. I find the easy versions to be too easy with almost no signature riffs and the play it Like the Artist to be quite difficult. In other words one version is for a beginner and the other for an advanced player with no intermediate version. All in all the lessons are very good but you really have to work hard on the Play it Like the ARtist. Maybe Neil can put out some JT lessons that are designed for an intermediate player.
I have seen a couple of those lessons before. It sure makes you appreciate Neil Hogan, huh? lol
I love JT's music, but if you watch some of his video performances, he often plays the F, F#, and G bass notes on the 6th string with his thumb. There are several members in the TARGET program that are trying to correct or overcome the 'baseball bat grip', the JT songs (except for the strumming versions) may not be too helpful to those TARGET members.
I still hope some of the JT songs make it in to the TARGET program in the future. Other than great songs, they have a lot of teaching benefit for chord changes, fingerpicking, and barre chords.

Bill

goldleaf

Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:02 pm

I think JT is probably my favorite of all the 60's &70's era performers. I know that is saying a lot cause there are a lot of greats but to me JT seems to be a perfectionist and just dosen't miss a note and always sounds good. So I'm all for some JT songs. Gary

richardk

Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:14 am

I just watched Two-Lane Blacktop the other night. Unfortunately neither he nor Dennis Wilson really sing in that one. They hardly even talk.

piknleft

Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:33 pm

Love JT also. Always have. All the way back to the "Mud Slide Slim" days. It's those 4 chord changes per measure that I have a hard time feeling "warm and fuzzy" about. Bring 'em on Neil. Thanks, Mike

haoli25

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:22 pm

LOL PIKNLEFT, you got me thinking and I decided to play "Carolina In My Mind" for the first time in about 5 years. You're right, if you love chord changes, that's the JT song for you. It's going to take me a few days to get this one back up to speed. :laugh:

Bill Image

goldleaf

Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:01 pm

For sure, I have an old JT songbood and most of his songs would take a lot of practice to get down the chord changed, unless Neil can simplfy some of them. But Neil's good at that so I hopeful. Gary

AndyT

Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:57 am

Four chords are easy as long as they are all whole notes in 16 beat measures..... LOL

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic