UNFAIR!

Feel free to get outside the box here.
BigBear

Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:37 am

AndyT wrote:
Speaking of which, Did you practice today?
Yep, about an hour. How about you?

I'm trying to learn the blues. Not because I particularly like the blues but I love being able to jam to them when some friends get together. I want to do much more than just play the chords to a 12 bar blues shuffle. Too boring. You can do some really cool stuff with the blues that I've always admired but didn't have a clue how to play.

I discovered that playing John Denver or Gordie (or any of my old folk songs) just doesn't cut it at a jam session. People want something to tap their feet to.

I'm working on a bunch of Neil's songs too. I've alwyas loved Paint it Black and I've got it down pretty good now. I play it on my 12-string and it sounds pretty cool, Also, working on a bunch of Neil Young and trying to get the solo down in Wish You Were Here, my favorite PF song.

What are you working on?

Chasplaya

Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:41 am

BigBear wrote:
AndyT wrote:
There may (or may not) have been something there about getting Chas under control as well, but I digress....;)
That may be harder than you think! Chas is now a PLATINUM Boarder so he is really untouchable! I'm glad you have personally taken on the task of getting him under control!! Pretty soon Neil will be asking for Chas' advice!! LMAO!!
I dunno about untouchable ..I've had my first telling off from Matt... me bad... and I ain't going into that cos I gave Matt my word from one Platinum Boarder to another. The day Neil has to ask me for advice is the name of a well known Eagles album....

Chasplaya

Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:43 am

BigBear wrote:
AndyT wrote:
Speaking of which, Did you practice today?
Yep, about an hour. How about you?

I'm trying to learn the blues. Not because I particularly like the blues but I love being able to jam to them when some friends get together. I want to do much more than just play the chords to a 12 bar blues shuffle. Too boring. You can do some really cool stuff with the blues that I've always admired but didn't have a clue how to play.

What are you working on?
Neil did some stuff about soloing around 12 bar blues somewhere It might have been in his Blog but it was fun to solo to using blues scale can't recall what key

AndyT

Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:24 am

Minor Pentatonic for blues I think.
I love the jams in the blues. You can get some serious thumping going on if you can play a really good 12 bar.

I spent about an hour trying to figure out that stupid palm mute.

rcsnydley

Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:26 am

Without looking I believe the 12 bar blues play-along is in the free section videos. Don't send the villagers with torches and pitchforks after me if I'm wrong, but that would be the first place I'd start looking. In fact, when I'm done catching up on the forum I think I'll head that direction and scope it out.

Keep Playing
Ric

BigBear

Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:13 am

Chasplaya wrote:
I dunno about untouchable ..I've had my first telling off from Matt... me bad... and I ain't going into that cos I gave Matt my word from one Platinum Boarder to another. The day Neil has to ask me for advice is the name of a well known Eagles album....
You know we all value your contributions to this site and you as a person! Plus I like the way you say "Good on you mate"!

So "Good on you mate" from me!:)

spags

Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:20 am

blues huh? good stuff. i'm trying to work on that a little myself. i know one cool little blues riff that's easy as pie to play but everyone seems to enjoy it.

BigBear

Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:07 pm

spags wrote:
blues huh? good stuff. i'm trying to work on that a little myself. i know one cool little blues riff that's easy as pie to play but everyone seems to enjoy it.
I like all the little riffs and especailly the turn-arounds. I don't think any other form of music does as good of job as the blues at saying "one more time!" and doing another 12 bars.

I'm also working at this thing they call "resolving" or getting back to the root note at the end of the riff. It really makes you aware of where the roots are within a scale pattern.

The blues is kind of a whole new world on the guitar! It's really fun!

Rick

rcsnydley

Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:08 pm

Neil did do a couple of vids on the 12 bar blues. They can be found here.\

http://www.totallyguitars.com/videos?start=32

Keep Playing
Ric

AndyT

Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:44 pm

I think the blues are a great place to start putting some of the theory together and see how it works.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic