Forum Policy (Warning: Thread Hijackers Win)

Feel free to get outside the box here.
AndyT

Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:37 pm

Braddah Iz was an excellent player and would have gotten better over time. Too bad he left us so soon. Thats what comes of over-eating.

*reminding myself*
Gotta diet more...

BigBear

Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:26 pm

AndyT wrote:
Braddah Iz was an excellent player and would have gotten better over time. Too bad he left us so soon. Thats what comes of over-eating.

*reminding myself*
Gotta diet more...
On a slightly more serious note, Iz' version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow still gives me chills. He was a major talent that died way too young. He embraced his size and died because of it, but he was loved by many.

He did a lot to bridge the Hawaiian/Polynesian music genre with modern pop. Not easy to do and he did it brilliantly. I miss the big dude!

Okay, now I can be a smart ass again!!

AndyT

Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:42 pm

you talk like you used to live here. In the service maybe?

spags

Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:30 pm

yeah bear no doubt, he was pretty awesome...

AndyT

Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:09 am

His music bridged different genres that is true. But the lyrics he sang were pretty much demanding a return to a Sovereign Hawaiian Nation. He wanted the islands to withdraw from the US and go back to the way it used to be. While I can understand the idea and even agree with some of his reasoning, it was actually causing 'racial' tensions here in the islands. You're either Hawaiian or you're not.

To his credit, he never advocated a violent separation like we see so much on the mainland. He was in essence a pacifist and he promoted that.

haoli25

Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:36 am

It's hard to argue with him when even the United Nations
says that Hawaii was illegally annexed as a territory.

AndyT

Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:14 am

Oh, I don't argue with him, I agree. The US was wrong in what they did. But the point is, that its over and done with now so lets move on and find ways to make the best of it.

I'm sick of this or that ethnicity claiming they were robbed of this or that and clamoring for it back. Lets face it, that is not how the world works. Never was, never will be. All down through time, history has been written by the winners and its not about to change just to make one or another group happy. Get over it already. I just wish all the crying and whining would end and people would get on with being civil to each other instead of trying to cheat or murder each other out of everything.

I better stop here. I'm getting worked into a frazzle and I'm gonna go off on something. *looking for my meds*

BigBear

Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:50 am

AndyT wrote:
you talk like you used to live here. In the service maybe?
My miliary service was all in Germany and California. I just thought he was a fascinating personality. I guess I was intrigued how everyone looked down at him for being so obese and then he brought forth this beautiful music as if to say don't judge me for my physical traits but rather what I can give to the world.

I was aware of his political views but could not relate very well since I am not a native of anything except this country.

Andy, you are right on as usual. It's time we all stop bitching about who took advantage of our forebears. It doesn't matter anymore folks. The Congress wants to spend more tax money making reparations for slavery. Are they out of their collective minds (short answer is yes)? That would have been a great idea about 150 years ago but very few people alive now either caused it or suffered from it. If I didn't cause it why should I pay for it? So some idiot in Congress can feel good about themselves or buy a few more votes? Even the Germans didn't have to pay for the misdeeds of the Kaiser or the Fuehrer!!

Oh well, Andy can I have some of your meds? Please?

haoli25

Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:54 am

So true Andy. And history rarely allows a 'do-over', so
just move on and make the best out of the history you can
change.

map4242

Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:33 am

The only 'debt' owed is to learn from history.
Too often not paid.

Mark

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic