Forum Policy (Warning: Thread Hijackers Win)

Feel free to get outside the box here.
BigBear

Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:28 pm

Someone needs to ask this question so I will.

Neil recently noted that this site cannot promote other commercial sites. That makes perfect sense, why should TG provide the resources to help other, potentially competitive sites gain subscribers, sales and/or revenue?

Now, I just noted that all links to other sites are forbidden and the forum admin people have been busy scrubbing postings and leaving little "don't do that" messages. This doesn't make sense because there are so many good resources, especially YouTube and others, that demonstrate a song or a technique or are even humorous perhaps. These links may have nothing to do with a commercial venture.

What is the real, no b.s. policy of TG regarding internet links to non-commercial sites? I should also point out that TG used another commercial site, YouTube, to launch this enterprise, ostensibly for free.

I don't have a dog in this fight; I just want to know the policy. Is it no links or just certain links?

Thank you! :)

haoli25

Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:45 pm

I will certainly play by the rules. I won't post any
more links in the forum. I also will not post any more
TG links on DIGG either.

spags

Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:47 pm

are you sure they are scrubbing all links including youtube? i ask because i just posted a song request the other day with a youtube link in it. no one seemed to complain and i just noticed that neil answered the post and left the link in.

maybe they are only killing links to other guitar sites or to videos that promote other sites.

rcsnydley

Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:34 pm

I too would like to weigh in on this issue. I certainly can understand not wanting to promote other commercial sites. However, I do not understand the policy against links to other "non-commercial" guitar sites. If the objective is to teach the joy of playing guitar, as I have no doubt it is, then any available resource should be explored and indeed encouraged.

Neil does have a unique and very good system of teaching guitar, better than any other I have seen or been a part of. However, with that being said, I also would read more than one book on music theory (or any other musical topic), in fact, a lot of books have further reading sections.

There are many FREE sites out there that have great supplemental material that could only be a benefit to the music student. I know that my idea of a forum is a free exchange of ideas and information for the edification of all members. To this end, I strongly encourage the powers that be to reconsider the present policy. I, for one, have never been on a forum that restricted legitimate resource links.

There have been countless post to this forum that contain links to numerous sites, will they now be removed? There is also a group that is about TAB and chord sites, will that group be banned? How about the group I created, The Beatles, I have several links to other sites, will I need to remove them? If I do there won't be much left to the group.

Whatever is decided as the official forum policy I will abide by. I did however feel it necessary to throw in my feels on this topic.

Thanks for reading
Ric

spags

Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:46 pm

hi all. i'm still a little confused. is this actually a policy or just a rumor. i havent seen anything from any of the admins saying that there is a no link policy. the first i heard of it was in this thread. can someone point to an admin message or something from neil stating there should be no links? before we get ourselves all worked up lets make sure this really is a policy.

haoli25

Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:47 pm

Maybe it would be best to send links to other
sites (commercial or non-commercial) by private
message rather than posting them to the Forum.

Your thoughts?

Haoli

TGKatherine

Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:49 pm

Hey guys,

I think most links, especially to YT videos are fine and shouldn't have been messed with at all. If they were I'm sure it was a mistake. I think I even remember seeing a link to a great forum site that we may get some ideas from. As far as I know, we are only trying to not promote other commercial sites, free ones are fine.

Neil

(I even kind of like the English guy with the site not to be named...)

haoli25

Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:56 pm

Thanks Neil. I think that is a very fair policy.

spags

Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:58 pm

works for me. its pretty much a common sense policy...

rcsnydley

Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:08 pm

Thanks Neil. I see wisdom once again has prevailed.:cheer:

Ric

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic