Question about Lesson/Song Video

Feel free to get outside the box here.
AndyT

Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:12 pm

XP requires at least 512 MB to run smoothly. You need to max out your RAM. You are going to see a huge difference in how your machine runs. If my suspicions are correct, your machine will be limited to 2MB, but that will drastically alter how it runs.

Think of a track runner. Put a gag on him so he can not breathe thru his mouth as he runs. He's not going to be able to run very well from lack of oxygen. Take the mask off (Max your RAM) and watch him go!

Your internet connection is fine, but your hard drive is being strangled also. You need to backup as much as you can and clear it out as well. A hard drive needs around 10% of its total to run smoothly. Otherwise file transfers are slowed because they have to go in pieces back and forth between the swap file. A new drive would also be a good choice if you can not seem to clear this out to have at least 1 GB empty.

Chasplaya

Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:31 am

I have 3GB RAM , Intel(R)Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4GHz and a 32 bit OS : 500GB Hard Drive

I also store lots of stuff on an external hard Drive. Running Vista

and intermittently I still get the slow download/buffering problems mentioned but I know my local Telecomm exchange is dated and is due for renewal plus we could have copper wire and not fibre optic, part of our town has fibre optic and some parts don't

AndyT

Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:05 am

Everyone gets buffering now and then. Its usually due to net congestion. Nothing we can do about that except wait for them to upgrade your infrastructure.

Chasplaya

Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:45 am

Giving this a bit of thought it might be a good idea to help Tech guys out if we had a more directed profile i.e. the profile consisted of a set of questions like dislike and also a question on PC setup. Some guys say nothing in the profile maybe if they had some direction and were prompted to answer questions it might make a difference, still voluntary though

AndyT

Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:56 am

Ok, but to what end Chas?

Question: Do you have a Mac or Windows machine?

Reasoning: If you have a Mac, you paid too much for something that usually does what you expect. If you run Windows, you got a great deal on a machine that does its level best to suprise you with unexpected results from normal procedures.

If you can't tell, I'm a Windows Geek.

Windows, the new version can now bring your network screaming to its knees faster than ever before!

Chasplaya

Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:01 am

I'm a Windows man. Reason for the info in the profile is that it may help the Techs looking after the site and or help others make constructive comment and advice to techy problems, I mean If It were me having all these problems and I had mentioned in my profile I had a Sinclair or a Commodore you'd know the problem straight away!!

The PC tech specs being just one question in the profile makeup.

AndyT

Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:07 am

You have a Sinclair? Wow. I never thought the power supplies in them would last that long. What are you feeding those gerbils anyway?

KennyF

Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:17 am

I couldn't imagine visiting this site without a smokin' broadband connection and at least an XP based machine with 1GB of ram. Seriously... Image

Chasplaya

Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:46 am

AndyT wrote:
You have a Sinclair? Wow. I never thought the power supplies in them would last that long. What are you feeding those gerbils anyway?
Never could afford a Sinclair, we had an Atari game console that you could add a keyboard and a floppy drive too and use BASIC to make some programmes , its what my son cut his teeth on he went on to become a Microsoft qualified technician

frybaby

Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:18 am

Forum folks, thank one and all for your intrest and recomendations.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic