Finding *all* artists/songs

Feel free to get outside the box here.
lueders

Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:41 am

I like the site alot. The in-depth teaching is first rate: the tabs, the background, the breakdowns, and of course the playing...all great.

2 Questions:

-- I'd love if there were an easier way to find all the artists and songs on the site. The cool, spinny album cover widget on the TARGET home page is cool -- but its not all there is. For example, the lesson for Jorma's Embryonic Journey is relatively "hidden" under the Advanced Lessons section. Not a bad place for it, but it doesn't appear in the various Band/Artist sections I've found (in the Forum and link off TARGET home page). I wonder what else I might be missing -- not to mention, it's harder to remember how to get back to a lesson you'd like to revisit if they're not accessed in a consistent manner.

I'd love to know if there's already an easy place on the site to find a table or something like:

ARTIST-SONG-DIFFICULTY-LINK_TO_LESSON

for every video / lesson on the site... ? If there isn't one, can you guys make one? :)

-- Finally: more Jorma please? Genesis and Hesitation Blues for starters...

Cheers, thanks for the hard work.

map4242

Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:01 am

You've got some good ideas. As the site grows it will become more difficult to find what is here and what you want. Early growing pains, but also a sign there is a lot here to enjoy.

There is a sticky on lessons and difficulty rating. The last I looked at it, it was some weeks out of date, but it would help if each line were also a link to the lesson.

Mark

Chasplaya

Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:10 am

What a good idea, as this site continues to grow rapidly it is getting difficult to find somethings. I think indexing needs to be reviewed and maybe the search function boosted to include advanced searches.

Maybe its not on purpose to encourage us to look around more lol

AndyT

Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:22 am

This is an excellent idea. Now to just figure out the easiest way to implement it.

Chasplaya

Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:27 am

Advanced search options exist on other sites , so should be possible, I'm no geek even tho been using these strange little plastic boxes since the 90's

AndyT

Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:34 am

I think the easiest way would be to post an Excel table that is sortable by any column and in each column we put items like, Title, Band, Difficulty Rating, etc...

Chasplaya

Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:42 am

That would work would need to be in HTML though wouldn't it? and protected somehow so we couldn't stuff it up As i said I'm no geek...honest!

Come on techy admin type people jump in any time you like and give us some clues....

AndyT

Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:45 am

You just import a table and disable all the write permissions.

Rod

Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:20 am

Yeah I agree the site needs a bit of work done on the indexing side and after new videos are added they need to be categorised properly. It would be great to be able to comprehensively search the song database my difficulty level or band or even style or techniques used ie. fingerpicking or rhythm. I recall a series of videos that appeared in the blog on different chords and how to finger them giving multiple views, looked really good I would have taught these would have fit into the beginners area of the target program. After a quick look I see some chord videos but not all the ones that appeared in the blog. I've done a search through the old entry's in the blog and found them, they all start with the words "Acoustic Guitar Tip" but if you didn't know that you would never find them. See if any of you guys can find them without using the search on "Acoustic Guitar Tip" or going through the old entries of the blog.

Cheers Rod...

mmcg

Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:42 am

This Excel-like behavior can be done pretty easily right in the browser itself -- sortable columns and column order -- in DHMTL and there are loads of free snippets of code in the public domain these guys can use that already have all the hard stuff figured out. They'd just need to grab the data and do some styling to the output. (Easy for me to say b/c I'm not doing the work...)

Still, in case TG really does want to pusue this: here's one particularly good script library that will do all this, but there are many options.

Thanks again for all of the great work and content.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic