Finding *all* artists/songs

Feel free to get outside the box here.
rcsnydley

Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:59 am

First, I'll be on topic (the original topic) and say I think this is an idea to be seriously considered. Neil has and continues to produce quality video lessons and has many new ones coming out. As the library grows so does the potential to lose track of where things are, so a reference of some sort would be of great benefit.

Second, I have noticed that lately topics have gone far afield and rambled on so far from the original topic that the thread is no longer recognizable. I will say that it has keep me from participating as it just seems to encourage this. I'm not saying we shouldn't keep things light and casual, but it does appear that things are getting way to loose. Just my opinion for whatever it is worth.

Keep Playing
Ric

KennyF

Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:13 am

rcsnydley wrote:

Second, I have noticed that lately topics have gone far afield and rambled on so far from the original topic that the thread is no longer recognizable. I will say that it has keep me from participating as it just seems to encourage this. I'm not saying we shouldn't keep things light and casual, but it does appear that things are getting way to loose. Just my opinion for whatever it is worth.

Keep Playing
Ric
This forum is actually pretty good, so far. On most online guitar forums, especially the BIG ones, threads get derailed in two posts or less.

Having been a Moderator on a few sites and the Administrator on two of my own, I can tell you that the tone of moderation needs to be set right from the start. If not, feelings get hurt when you start moving posts around, or deleting off topics posts, which generally leads to disgruntled members, or loss of members.

Personally, I don't mind the joking around. If it weren't for that, a lot of people might not have much to say.

Kenny

BigBear

Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:20 am

AndyT wrote:
You don't want this stuff. Makes my stomach huli.
That's that poi crap you natives feed to the tourists so they think they are eating authenic luau! :lol:

rcsnydley

Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:32 am

kennyf wrote:
rcsnydley wrote:

Keep Playing
Ric
This forum is actually pretty good, so far. On most online guitar forums, especially the BIG ones, threads get derailed in two posts or less.

Having been a Moderator on a few sites and the Administrator on two of my own, I can tell you that the tone of moderation needs to be set right from the start. If not, feelings get hurt when you start moving posts around, or deleting off topics posts, which generally leads to disgruntled members, or loss of members.

Personally, I don't mind the joking around. If it weren't for that, a lot of people might not have much to say.

Kenny
I hear ya Kenny. It's just that if you are gone for a couple of days by the time you return the topic has wondered so far astray that it is very hard to respond to the original post. I guess I should learn to use the Quote button more.

Ric

BigBear

Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:39 am

rcsnydley wrote:
Ric- you're right but I agree with Kenny on this one. I think we use the forum as a way to have some fun with each other and I'm one of the worst offenders. This interaction creates friendships which is never a bad thing especailly as we all struggle to master the guitar.

I've moderated several forums and trying to play "thread police" sucks and usually causes more harm than good. On this forum, the discussion seems to go "off topic" after an issue has been beat to death or is no longer useful. Plus this off topic discussion usually occurs when there are no new threads or questions and people are bored (speaking for myself only).

When someone has a serious question or concern the participants on this forum get all over it and try to help find a solution. You among the best! I don't think you can fault the good intentions of the major contributers and no harm is done by some harmless banter. Just my humble opinion!

Rick

rcsnydley

Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:47 am

BigBear wrote:
rcsnydley wrote:
Ric- you're right but I agree with Kenny on this one. I think we use the forum as a way to have some fun with each other and I'm one of the worst offenders. This interaction creates friendships which is never a bad thing especailly as we all struggle to master the guitar.

I've moderated several forums and trying to play "thread police" sucks and usually causes more harm than good. On this forum, the discussion seems to go "off topic" after an issue has been beat to death or is no longer useful. Plus this off topic discussion usually occurs when there are no new threads or questions and people are bored (speaking for myself only).

When someone has a serious question or concern the participants on this forum get all over it and try to help find a solution. You among the best! I don't think you can fault the good intentions of the major contributers and no harm is done by some harmless banter. Just my humble opinion!

Rick
Rick - as usual you make a true and correct statement. It is indeed the "friendship" factor that makes this forum so enjoyable. I guess it was the fact that I was away for a while and when I came back some of the topics I wanted to reply to had gotten so far away from the original post that I felt lost.

So, anyway I did get an opportunity to vent my frustration and as usual the forum members where understanding, kind and helpful.

Thanks.

Ric

BigBear

Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:56 am

rcsnydley wrote:
[quote Rick - as usual you make a true and correct statement. It is indeed the "friendship" factor that makes this forum so enjoyable. I guess it was the fact that I was away for a while and when I came back some of the topics I wanted to reply to had gotten so far away from the original post that I felt lost.[/quote]

I can see what mean. Even if you are away for a day or even a few hours the thread can wander so far from the original topic that it isn't worth the time to try to find the last on-topic post.

It's too bad there isn't a good way to bring the thread back to realty. I'm sure other members might be frustrated by this as well. Maybe the best way is to start a new, similar thread which always gets good interaction!

Just a thought!

Rick

Rod

Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:13 pm

I gona unsubscribe to this topic after this post. Just checked my inbox and its full of crap. 38 posts and most of it nothing to do with the subject

KennyF

Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:07 pm

I just want to know where my free coffee is? :laugh:

RicksPick

Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:30 pm

Hi guys

You need your own thread so you can gossip/waffle, banter.
Quite amusing most of the time.
You might even have some groupies lol
RicksPick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic