Video Angle Left Hand

Feel free to get outside the box here.
Chasplaya

Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:18 am

I have seen elsewhere that the left hand is viewed over the should looking down as if it were you playing I found this really useful as my mind immediately got the picture and didn't have to translate it . Is this possible ?

AndyT

Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:25 am

I think Neil already said he was not going to shoot vids like this. Not sure he gave a reason, but I can give you a good one.

When you play with other people, are you looking over their shoulder to see what chord they are on? Nope. Not unless your name is Reed Richards. Learn to see it the way you will see it in a group.

Chasplaya

Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:30 am

I've seen it over the shoulder and I even bought a DVD done that way which gives three views Right hand front, Left hand over the shoulder and left hand front. The over the shoulder gives a really good perspective of whats required and some chords are much clearer from that angle

AndyT

Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:33 am

I agree. I have some lessons from a guy that uses that as his trademark, and it makes it very easy to see what hes doing. But I know Neil already said he's not going to do it that way.

AcousticAl

Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:11 am

Neil mentioned that in one of the TG Lives. I think he compared it to us being one of his students and trying to look over his shoulder. He's not going there.

His lesson format now works for me..

BigBear

Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:14 am

Chasplaya wrote:
I have seen elsewhere that the left hand is viewed over the should looking down as if it were you playing I found this really useful as my mind immediately got the picture and didn't have to translate it . Is this possible ?
I've seen this done, too. It's a really good view but Andy and Al are right, it's better in the long run to be able to visualize the view from the front!

Chasplaya

Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:41 pm

From a profesionaol trainers perspective it is considered always best to use the perspective in instructing of the person that is to use the skill, therefore the over the shoulder view meeets this basic principle.

RicksPick

Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:26 am

Very true chas
But how many of us do you think are used to seeing the guitar straight on as if sat opposite your mate or teacher, how many times we had a jam and followed others?
I guess we all have been trained this way.

If it aint broke....

RicksPick

KennyF

Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:04 am

RicksPick wrote:
(snip)...how many times we had a jam and followed others?
That's actually a very good point Rick.

At some point, you need to be able to follow the music by watching the other guitar player. It's real important from a jam standpoint when soloing. So it's a good thing to get use to right from the start.

rcsnydley

Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:33 pm

I too feel the over the shoulder, though it may be useful in some situations, just is not the way to go. As was brought up in previous post on this same subject it is not a realistic way to learn. When I play with others and they are showing me a new song I do not look over their shoulders nor do they look over mine when I show them a song.

I think that it is great that Neil persist in keeping it pretty much real world. Just because you can do it (over the shoulder view) doesn't mean you should.

IMHO
Ric

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic