through it.
With all of the song requests, I seriously doubt that 90%
of them will ever see the light of day in TARGET, yet TARGET
is already a valuable resource for me and I am going to
continue to use it.
I know that Neil has a life, a family, and a business away
from TOTALLY GUITARS. I amazed that he gets as much done
as he does.

As Matt said, you can't please everyone.

micke1967

Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:44 am

Hi All..As I stated first the quality of whats in TARGET right now is very high and cant complain on that at all.
Also Neil is an excellent teacher in my mind -no doubt about that.

However I do understand Neil have a life and a family and might have a limited amount of time.

However the TotallyGuitars site is definately competing with other sites/companies that have more resources and can perhaps be more productive...
Some for sure are and som for sure are not...As I mentioned I did leave one guitarlesson site for that exact reason...
And I do wanna stay with TotallyGuitars since I do like it and the content-thats why Im trying to influence the site with a subject as this..

Now given the fact that Neil and the others behind TG dont want to/or can not hire any more people/teachers to help Neil creating lessons...
Then perhaps it would be a good idea to invite the more senior guitar players here on the site to also create and publish lessons...
Perhaps with Neil checking and approve/dissaprove the lessons before publishing??
That way there would be a higher rate of production/new songs for the members to enjoy..
So there would be more value for money. Also there would perhaps be a more spread variety in the styles, like rockabilly, country music or whatever have you...
And as yet another advantage the members would perhaps feel even more as a part of a community this way...
Also I did like the idea of having a schedule to see what is to be expected or in the pipeline of the site.

Well just a suggestion...
Best Regards Micael

AcousticAl

Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:24 am

Well, I'm a happy camper with this site- I'm a long way from learning even a third of the songs. But I read the forums a lot and Micael isn't the only one with this opinion.

I don't know the answer for TG or Neil- I thought the 'TG shorts' was a good way to get us stuff quicker.

Re. Micael's suggestion about letting other pros teach on this site- I doubt that would fly. We all came here for Neil's skill and ability. Would everyone then complain that the lessons aren't as good as when Neil did them?

How's the cloning machine coming along, Neil?

Al

RicksPick

Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:01 am

I too came here because of Neil, I can find other instructional video that isn't Neil
but I don't need to as there is enough material for me for at least 2 years, so many bad habits to correct lol.

I guess you must be a very good guitarist to have run out of material within 3 months which makes me wonder how any site can be able to fulfill your needs as I guess being that advanced you can watch any instruction or tune and play it within minutes.

Some of the more advanced guitarists here spend a lot of time,fun and effort (hyjacking)
giving advice to the lesser experienced of us, which we are most greatful for.

I think that there is a lot on the horizon for lessons so just give them a little room as Neil's schedule has been full recently.They have hinted at so much stuff in the pipeline.

RicksPick

KennyF

Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:11 am

RicksPick wrote:
I guess you must be a very good guitarist to have run out of material within 3 months which makes me wonder how any site can be able to fulfill your needs as I guess being that advanced you can watch any instruction or tune and play it within minutes.
I don't mean this in a bad way, but if he's good enough to do that, then he'd be able to play those songs without the tutorial, as I'm sure that a few members here can do.

In which case, hang out and help others.

micke1967

Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:28 am

Hi
Well Im not that good that I have learned all songs here in 3 months..
I wish though...
Its more of a question that I want to find new stuff here each month since Im paying for my membership by month...

And also that theres a lot of stuff I want to learn and for me to have a wider variety of songs to choose from is a good thing...

So for me more is better...

And I dont wanna be complaining or seen as one that complains about things...I meerly want to influence and hope that more material is produced in a higher rate...
Then again I understand that I most likely got spoiled from that first month of Target where it was tons of material published all at once...

That sort of set the tone to me...
However I do understand that it would be hard keeping up that pace...

Again I do think Neil is a great teacher - if not I would propably not bother trying to influence...

So take this as it is..a suggestion on how I would like this site even better...
Best regards Micael

eagle670

Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:30 am

Okay guy's let's slow down a little bit. I can only speak for myself, but I came to this site for quality and not quantity. I have always been the type a player that is refer to as a "bitsy", meaning that I could only play bits and pieces of tunes. The reason for this was that there were so many tunes out there to learn that once I got the opening riff down, I moved on to the next song. I decided to join this site because I didn't like being that type of player anymore. I want to force myself to learn complete songs and Neil is teaching me to do that. Sure I have my favorite tunes that I am waiting for, but in the mean time I am using what is out there to better my skills as a complete player. I don't think anyone has any doubt that Neil knows what he is doing and so let's be patient with the learning process.

Kevin

kirbySfan

Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:04 pm

I agree with "micke1967" and "AndyT". The number of songs could be higher as promised by Neil.

rcsnydley

Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:25 pm

I hear what everyone is saying and I too love to see new material added. However, are you trying to tell me you have worked through all 50+ songs and can play them, start to finish? If not then it would seem that new material may be just an overload at this point.

I do understand that not all the songs may be on your learning agenda, but I know there are several that I have not even got a chance to work on that I would like to learn.

Bottom line, Neil is working feverishly I'm sure to produce the highest quality lessons available and when they do come out it is always well worth the wait. I have a feeling there are a lot in the post production phase and we will be inundated with new songs soon.

Keep Playing
Ric

AcousticAl

Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:47 pm

I make it a point of not moving on to the next tune until I'm semi-fluid on the one I'm working on. That was my problem before (and still is)- not finishing tunes. With this approach, I've got WAY more than I can handle right now!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic