Finding scales lessons

Feel free to get outside the box here.
musicdoc522

Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:40 pm

Hello --

I've found quite a few interesting scales videos in the beginning and intermediate lessons (TARGET), though most of this content is pretty basic and general. However, in the latest live session (I think), Neil referred to what sounded like some more applied instruction re: various pentatonic positions, and that he used numbers to connote the position on the neck -- in contrast to say the "C*A*G*E*D" system.

Obviously there's tons of info out in the big, wide inter-tubes on this stuff, but I'd be very interested in seeing these videos he referred to, but I can't find them. I expect Neil's perspective and unique system for how he organizes these interlocking patterns/positions would be very cool to see. This sort of applied instruction on mapping music theory to the fretboard, and ways to practice and use it would be high on my list of material to add to the TARGET lessons.

Does anyone know where the content that Neil referred to lives on the site?

Thanks!

rcsnydley

Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:52 pm

Im with you. I would like to see this type info as well. I joined up, payed my money,
and have been spending a lot of time on there over the past couple days. One thing
that seems to be missing (or at least hiding somewhere) are technique based practice videos, scales, patterns etc etc. I see quite a few videos of specific songs, but no drill type exercises. Maybe I just havent figured the website out completely, but so far no luck.

AcousticAl

Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:41 pm

Hey guys,

Good move to join.. you won't regret it. One thing I've found since joining is that TARGET is a living/changing entity. Neil is open to all (reasonable) suggestions and comments. I've actually been amazed at how quickly they respond to, and incorporate good suggestions for the site.

Re. your suggestions (theory/scales/exercises etc)- there are a few threads on this topic already. No doubt Neil and his crew are figuring out a way to bring us this properly. I've already seen the video lessons start incorporating scales/leads etc.

All the best!

Al

Lavallee

Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:44 pm

If you look in the Target drop down you will see beginner and intermediate which are not songs but theory and some exercises.

Marc

cosmicmechanic

Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:01 pm

Lavallee wrote:
If you look in the Target drop down you will see beginner and intermediate which are not songs but theory and some exercises.

Marc
Thanks for the tip. I had already spent time in the intermediate section, but I
hadnt actually looked in the beginners section....:blush: I guess thats what
I get for thinking I was "too good" to look in the beginners section. Just goes
to show me that I still need the basic beginning technique practive in order to
improve my playing. It makes sense that technique drills and exersices arent
going to be "advanced" needs. :laugh:

Thanks again. Now I think its only fitting that I call myself a "beginning"
to "intermediate" player.

Man do I have a lot to learn.:blink:

caymandiver55

Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:33 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I am new here and will do the same.:)

JJ

haoli25

Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:00 pm

Welcome JJ. I think you will like it here, Neil is a great teacher.

Lavallee

Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:51 pm

Welcome aboard JJ.

I know what you mean gmanone. I thougth I was pretty good until I joined target. I find that with all the knowledge floating around I am not so much the advanced intermediate I thought I was. The good thing is that everybody is here to help.

Welcome to the beginning of your musical enjoyment.

Marc

Lavallee

Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:48 pm

Thanks, everyone, for pointers to the lessons. As I mentioned, I've found those and like them... very helpful. And, I've been a member for a couple months at least and am both pleased and impressed with the amount of quality content on the site and being added.

All that said: what I was hoping is someone would know of the specific videos that Neil referred to in his latest Live broadcast. He implied (at least, to my ears) that there were already videos on the site that covered these pentatonic scale patterns, I don't want to miss out on already available content, so, I'll throw that out one more time, but I suspect the answer is that nobody here knows of those either... ?

If these vids are really still an idea and yet to come, that's fine, and I trust there'll be lots of fantastic, applied drills to come.

Cheers.

Lavallee

Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:57 pm

Just a little hint of the future..

But Neil and I are working in the next 2 months on a huge range of content that is not song based..but we also need to keep teh song library full...so just pay attention to what we release ...you will see a lot coming down the pipeline..

CHeers

Matt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic