Fingerpicking confusion!

Feel free to get outside the box here.
laura_s

Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:34 am

Hi there

Pleeeeease can someone help me? I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure out the fingerpicking pattern in Eva Cassidy's Autumn Leaves.

The chords I'm using are here (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/e/e ... r2_crd.htm) but I think these might be better (http://www.evacassidy.dk/album.php?Bi) to work with. Can someone give advice? I'd love to be able to play the song.

Thanks

Laura

rcsnydley

Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:35 am

Hi Laura, I wish I could offer some assistance, but I also am struggling to figure out how fingerpicking patterns work and also how to figure out what is being done.

I have some songs I would like to learn that feature fingerpicking, but am at a lose as to how to approach them. Perhaps some of our very talented fingerstyle playing members can offer some advice.

Thanks
Ric

haoli25

Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:55 am

Hello Laura, what specifically are you having problems with? Is it the 'picking pattern' or the 'pinches' she uses in this song? :)

Bill

mark

Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:12 pm

Hi Laura
There is also a guitar pro file available at www.ultimateguitar.com.
It may be easier to learn the song using this.

The song does not use one picking pattern throughout. The pattern changes frequently throughout the song.
Generally it uses an appegio style, but also adds in some bass runs and fills to make it more interesting.

If you are new to fingerpicking it may be best to learn a song that uses the same picking pattern throughout the song. House of the rising sun is a good example and is in the target program if you want to become a member.

Chasplaya

Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:00 pm

Hi Laura, I have a tab for this either in Guitar Pro or in PDF , its all in 8th notes and the pattern repeats but obviously not the same pattern for each measure. PM me with your email if you want a copy. The thumb is quite busy as a lot of Bass notes are used, it is in what is called two voices due to the Bass line, , (a lot of pinching with treble notes)

AcousticAl

Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:06 pm

What an amazing song! Hauntingly beautiful.

I had never heard of either Eva Cassidy or 'Falling Leaves' before now..
I'm purchasing it from itunes as I type.

Thanks for posting the link, Laura_s!

Chasplaya

Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:13 pm

Hopefully I can upload this short pdf for a lesson I once did on Fingerpicking Paterns, these are a few patterns but not definitive.

Sorry forgot no PDF's allowed here.

AndyT

Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:07 pm

Cool song.
Its actually a rather simple song, notice I did not say easy, some simple arpeggio picking and a bass line. The picking pattern is simply picking out the chord a note or two (pinch) at a time.

map4242

Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:51 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
What an amazing song! Hauntingly beautiful.

I had never heard of either Eva Cassidy or 'Falling Leaves' before now..
I'm purchasing it from itunes as I type.

Thanks for posting the link, Laura_s!
Go to youtube and check out her "Wonderful World" and especially her "Over the Rainbow".

Mark

Chasplaya

Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:30 am

AndyT wrote:
Cool song.
Its actually a rather simple song, notice I did not say easy, some simple arpeggio picking and a bass line. The picking pattern is simply picking out the chord a note or two (pinch) at a time.
It might be simply picking out the chords , but there are 22 of them to pick through

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic