First Songs You Learned To Play

Feel free to get outside the box here.
willem

Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:54 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Yeah Chas, there's a fine line between inspiration and frustration when someone shows you how it should be done!
Hi, when i looked and listen to Tommy Emanuel, i smash that thing in the corner en play never again, but I dont't.cheeeeeeese

quincy451

Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:05 pm

The year was 1976. First song was "Down on the Corner"...all open chords with a moving bass on the C chord. Not much to it.

Can I still play it. Nope...but I can play all the chords in it. I never forgot the chords and stuff I learned from back then. But memory of how specific songs went...never stuck. I guess that is what you for playing from paper all the time.

haoli25

Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:12 pm

quincy451 wrote:
The year was 1976. First song was "Down on the Corner"...all open chords with a moving bass on the C chord. Not much to it.

Can I still play it. Nope...but I can play all the chords in it. I never forgot the chords and stuff I learned from back then. But memory of how specific songs went...never stuck. I guess that is what you for playing from paper all the time.

I hear you David, I hear you! lol

willem

Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:17 pm

THE HOUSE OF THE RISING SONG,(my first) I like this one on any time and can played in difrent styl's,the most i like is a jamming a long,(Joan Baez version i want to learn,the one where the guitarist playes a solo)my second was a dutch song called ''beneden alle peil'' Boudewijn de Groot. The third was REM ''EVERYBODY HURTS''
4 ''SAIL AWAY'' 5 ''HEART OF GOLD'' 6 ''LOSING MY RELIGION'' 7 ''NORWEGIAIN WOOD'' THANKS NEIL!! and now i try everyday something when there is time, otherwise i make time,,,cheeeeeeese..

neverfoundthetime

Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:32 pm

Yeah, Willem, keeping the frustration at bay can be tough. My first guitar got smashed to smithereens 33 years ago ... as did my first tennis racket years earlier. In the mean time I've learned to keep my temperament under control and to keep my aims realistic and practice the the hard bits time and time again. Small steps. The result has been less frustration and more success. Amazing: the harder I practice the better I get!

haoli25

Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:35 pm

Good for you Willem. That's how we all get better, just practice, practice,
practice. I still love that video that you posted.

Bill

haoli25

Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:48 pm

THe first song I learned all the way through was "Let it be" the Beatles. I could play several riffs and parts of songs. But "Let it Be" was the first I could play all the way through.;)

haoli25

Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:56 pm

Good tune Paul. Welcome to the TG Forum.

Bill

Chasplaya

Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:37 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
.... you mean Stairway Barb? I love the song, just never felt the need to play it. I believe its THE pain-in-the-ass piece for everyone who works in a guitar shop. Every spotty youth who has ever tried a guitar out has played THAT song... :-) No offence intended!
Yeah everyone does the 12 string intro , but the solo now thats something differnt.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:40 pm

THe first song I learned all the way through was "Let it be" the Beatles. I could play several riffs and parts of songs. But "Let it Be" was the first I could play all the way through.
Great way to start Paul..... and I bet you're still playing that often today... it's one people always ask for....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic