First Songs You Learned To Play

Feel free to get outside the box here.
haoli25

Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:06 am

The first two songs I learned was "Satisfaction" by The Stones and "I Go To Pieces" by Peter and Gordon. Hey they were new and on the radio and I played those same two songs for anyone that would listen. I also played them for people that wouldn't listen.:laugh:
"Daytripper" was up next, but it took a little while for that one.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:15 am

Bill, you know, I just can't recall. I'm really nonplussed that I can remember! House of the Rising Sun must have been in there somewhere. It was something with C F & G. Am and D were early chords so something down that road. Jeez!

haoli25

Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:25 am

Chris, The Animals version of "House Of The Rising Sun" came out the year before I started to play. Even after I had driven everyone crazy with 'Satisfaction' and 'I Go To Pieces', 'House Of The Rising Sun' was much to advanced for me. :silly:

Chasplaya

Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:52 am

Thinking waaaay back the first song I can recall learning was 'All Right Now' by Free. Then it was Deep Purples Black Knight. And third was definitely Smoke On the Water.

I have a cousin who is a Concert Pianist highly acclaimed in UK he has a site:

http://www.murraymclachlan.com

He is a good few years younger than me and he was really still learning when he and his parents visited he might have been 10, anyway I had just got my Vox Teardrop and a small practice amp and he picked it up looked at Deep Purple sheet music I had and played Smoke On the Water in a classical style I will never forget. Made me want to give up there end then...

neverfoundthetime

Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:28 am

Yeah Chas, there's a fine line between inspiration and frustration when someone shows you how it should be done!

neverfoundthetime

Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:34 am

Bill, my confusion is caused by being always able to sing everything but picking up the guitar to play along was so frustrating... having to get a grip of strumming AND chord changes AND sing was a real damper....

AndyT

Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:36 am

Lets see....

I'll Fly Away.
Gloryland Way.
When The Roll Is Called Up Yonder.

That was my first 3.

cabro

Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:45 am

The first tune I learned to play was an old folk tune called 500 Miles, not to be confused with the Proclaimers song I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles). House Of The Rising Sun wasn't far behind. I remember fighting that F chord for weeks.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:49 am

I remember a friend trying to get me to play Lady in Black (in Germany, for some reason this is/was really popular) as it only has 2 chords. But I didn't want to bother with a song I thought was simple & crap!

Catman

Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:32 am

HRS

(House of the Rising Sun)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic