First Songs You Learned To Play

Feel free to get outside the box here.
reiver

Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:08 pm

As a kid, before I really wanted to learn to play the thing - this is what everyone started with. I've linked the vid 'cos I'm not sure how big this was worldwide......

Once I was older - and much cooler - El Condor Pasa, one chord change per verse ( G and Em). What could be easier

r

tovo

Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:15 pm

reiver wrote:
As a kid, before I really wanted to learn to play the thing - this is what everyone started with. I've linked the vid 'cos I'm not sure how big this was worldwide......

Once I was older - and much cooler - El Condor Pasa, one chord change per verse ( G and Em). What could be easier

r
You picked a good band to highlight it Reiver!

tovo

Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:15 pm

reiver wrote:

r

reiver

Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:51 pm

tovo wrote:
reiver wrote:

r

mmmm.....not exactly cool, but Judith Durham could sure hold a tune.

suziko

Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:26 pm

I'm with Paulguitar56 here: a very simplified version of Let it Be. For some reason, my guitar teacher never gave us many real songs to practice those beginning chords with. If only I'd found TG then (not that it even existed 2 years ago, I don't think).

suziko

Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:30 pm

Oh, and right after that I learned City of New Orleans. That's one I still actually practice these days.

musicdoc522

Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:36 pm

It was in 1971. Blowing in the Wind. Early Morning Rain. Leaving on a Jet Plane. That's What You get For Loving Me, 500 Miles.

goldleaf

Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:02 pm

Wow, good question, my sister gave me a $15 guitar for my birthday when I was 10. I wanted an electric and my parents said if I take lessons for 2 years I'd get an electric for Christmas. I did the 2 years so the first song I learned???? probably "She'll Be Comin Round The Mountain" or something dorkey like that, what ever was in that Mel Bay or what ever that book the teacher gave me was. Gary

songman52

Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:13 pm

Good thread. Bringing up many memories. First song had to be "House of the Rising Sun". Didn't play for several years (no patience as a youngster!) then took a few lessons in my mid 20s. First learned "500 Miles", "Feelin' Groovy", "The Boxer", and "Freight Train". Yes, those were fingerstyle lessons.
Still play The Boxer often, Simon and Garfunkel in my top five all time favorites.

Jimmer

Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:48 pm

Easy! The opening riff (and ONLY the opening riff) from Johnny Rivers' 'Secret Agent Man'

Age 10: I went to a friend's house (Doug Farber... and how come I can rememebr THAT and still lose my car keys three times a week? LOL) and he had an electric guitar. I had never held one before, but managed to pick out the melody (it's only four notes) of the song. I was hooked...

Went home and told Dad that I was gonna be a rocker, so he gave me his old brown box guitar and said tha the would get me a GOOD one if I could impress him. I got my 'good' guitar the next Christmas!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic