Youtube songs option- to aid learning

Feel free to get outside the box here.
heyjoe

Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:25 am

Hi All

With the large amount of songs Neil & the TG gang now have on here, I'm wondering, should we have a youtube channel with all the songs Neil teaches us, as played by the artist in question.

The reason I'm thinking of this is, I'm sure not everyone on here knows all the songs on TG. Wouldn't it be easier for people to learn if, for example someone had never heard embryonic journey, they could go to our youtube channel and it has a version on there for them to listen to- maybe the channel could be prominently advertised so everyone is aware of it. I can't think of any other sites where you get a great teacher, great tabs, and the chance to see/listen to the song you are learning.

I'm aware that Neil does a play through on each song, but sometimes you just need to hear the who song by the artist in question to help you.

So, would a separate youtube channel, containing songs by original artists be of any benefit? Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Joe

AndyT

Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:04 am

I think just a link to one already there should be fine.

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:12 pm

Hey Heyjoe,

Your idea has some merit, but due to the fact there are sometimes so many versions and covers of songs it might get a bit contentious, so as Andy suggested maybe just a link to a version close towhat is being taught might be enough. A recent example i discovered was Greg lake and From The Beginning, I checked out You Tube and man sooo many different versions by Greg Lake himself not to mention covers, it got a bit confusing and I spent an age just surfing for one I liked (could play lol)

But yeh maybe a link to one might be useful. Although contradicting myself possibly I sometimes enjoy the search!

willem

Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:09 pm

heyjoe schreef: [/ b]
[quote] Hi All

Met de grote hoeveelheid nummers Neil & de TG bende nu hier, ik ben benieuwd, zouden we hebben een YouTube-kanaal met alle nummers Neil leert ons, zoals gespeeld door de kunstenaar in kwestie.

De reden dat ik denk van dit is, ik weet zeker dat niet iedereen hier kent alle nummers op TG. Zou het niet makkelijker voor mensen om te leren, bijvoorbeeld wanneer iemand die nog nooit had gehoord embryonale reis, kunnen ze naar ons YouTube-kanaal en het heeft een versie op er voor hen om naar te luisteren, misschien het kanaal duidelijk kon worden geadverteerd, zodat iedereen is zich bewust van. Ik kan niet denken van alle andere sites waar je een groot leraar, grote tabbladen, en de kans om te zien / luisteren naar de song die u aan het leren bent.

Ik ben me bewust dat Neil heeft een toneelstuk door op elke song, maar soms moet je gewoon het nummer te horen die door de kunstenaar in kwestie om u te helpen.

Dus, zou een aparte youtube kanaal, met songs van originele artiesten zijn van enig voordeel? Laat me weten wat je denkt.

Bedankt

Joe [/ quote]

als ik niet weet welk lied, zoeken i alway's on you tube wat het is, waarom een apart kanaal voor deze?

willem

Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:21 pm

willem wrote:
heyjoe schreef: [/ b]
Hi All

Met de grote hoeveelheid nummers Neil & de TG bende nu hier, ik ben benieuwd, zouden we hebben een YouTube-kanaal met alle nummers Neil leert ons, zoals gespeeld door de kunstenaar in kwestie.

De reden dat ik denk van dit is, ik weet zeker dat niet iedereen hier kent alle nummers op TG. Zou het niet makkelijker voor mensen om te leren, bijvoorbeeld wanneer iemand die nog nooit had gehoord embryonale reis, kunnen ze naar ons YouTube-kanaal en het heeft een versie op er voor hen om naar te luisteren, misschien het kanaal duidelijk kon worden geadverteerd, zodat iedereen is zich bewust van. Ik kan niet denken van alle andere sites waar je een groot leraar, grote tabbladen, en de kans om te zien / luisteren naar de song die u aan het leren bent.

Ik ben me bewust dat Neil heeft een toneelstuk door op elke song, maar soms moet je gewoon het nummer te horen die door de kunstenaar in kwestie om u te helpen.

Dus, zou een aparte youtube kanaal, met songs van originele artiesten zijn van enig voordeel? Laat me weten wat je denkt.

Bedankt

Joe [/ quote]

als ik niet weet welk lied, zoeken i alway's on you tube wat het is, waarom een apart kanaal voor deze?

sorry i did something wrong, but i say or ask why a apart channel for this, everybody can look or surch on you tube for this....

quincy451

Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:25 pm

heyjoe wrote:
Hi All

With the large amount of songs Neil & the TG gang now have on here, I'm wondering, should we have a youtube channel with all the songs Neil teaches us, as played by the artist in question.

The reason I'm thinking of this is, I'm sure not everyone on here knows all the songs on TG. Wouldn't it be easier for people to learn if, for example someone had never heard embryonic journey, they could go to our youtube channel and it has a version on there for them to listen to- maybe the channel could be prominently advertised so everyone is aware of it. I can't think of any other sites where you get a great teacher, great tabs, and the chance to see/listen to the song you are learning.

I'm aware that Neil does a play through on each song, but sometimes you just need to hear the who song by the artist in question to help you.

So, would a separate youtube channel, containing songs by original artists be of any benefit? Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Joe
Ok I understand where you are coming from. Most of us don't have the massive musical background in just listening to music that Neil does. So we may not be familar with the original music. It would be nice to have a link as was pointed out in this thread elsewhere to a youtube version by the original artist. I think covers take things in different directions as also pointed out here. One thing I will point out against anybody from totallyguitars.com creating a youtube channel of original reference songs. Youtube will smack that channel down for terms of use violation very quickly.

Covers are not even safe. Naudo was doing some great covers on nylon string guitar of all kinds of songs. And his channel got taken off.

So personally I think a link might be good. But a youtube search by those interested in that is just as good. Heck when listening to a cover by somoene I like on youtube I will often do a youtube search looking for the original so I see what they where interpretting. I am thinking static links will turn into broken links. That has happned to some of my youtube favorites listed there.

Heck it would be nice to see how close Niel has come by listening to the originals.

AndyT

Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Too many lawyers in the world today to do something so useful.

quincy451

Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:04 am

Now an offshoot idea comes to mind. What if when we do a youtube posting of us playing a song from totallyguitars.com we give Niel Hogan arrangement credit and put a link on the right back to totallyguitars.com.

Many times I have followed just credit/links myself.

Chasplaya

Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:20 am

quincy451 wrote:
Now an offshoot idea comes to mind. What if when we do a youtube posting of us playing a song from totallyguitars.com we give Niel Hogan arrangement credit and put a link on the right back to totallyguitars.com.

Many times I have followed just credit/links myself.
That might be fine if we do it justice, but what if we stuff it up?

AndyT

Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:09 am

Imagine two friends talking....

I saw this guy on YouTube that said he learned from Neil Hogan and he was really really bad. I guess that Neil guy is not a good teacher.

His friend might say;
Nah, I saw Neil and the student is blind and tone deaf. Neil Rocks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic