Learning New Strumming Patterns

Feel free to get outside the box here.
csteinhardt

Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:28 pm

I am doing well learning how to play and strum but when it comes to certain patterns - even in easy songs I have trouble picking out what the pattern is.

Tabs can be helpful but doesn't really show me strumming timing so I can get the same sound. Now YouTube videos of people playing are great - but even if I slow it down in a video editor the frame rates can't pick up all the hand strumming movements (just the sounds) so even if I slow the video down, its difficult to see how exactly strummed to get that sound.

Here is a good example, Springsteens "Leah". You can see Springsteen playing it on YouTube live or here is a good cover:

I know what the notes are but I can't figure aout the actual strumming pattern and timing.

My questions are:

1. Is there a better video editor that would help me get it
or
2. Anither method to figure out the pattern?

3. Lastly, if you could help me pick out the pattern and timing of this song ( I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,
Charles

BigBear

Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:21 pm

Charles- I'm sure you will get many different opinions on this subject but a couple of points I thought of:

First, when strumming learn to use a metronome. Very important! I've got a nice Boss and it will keep the beat and also accent the other sub-beats like the 1/8th between the 1/4 notes etc. This is a huge aid to learning to strum however learning to use a metronome isn't as easy as it sounds! If you don't have one yet they can be had really cheap!

Strumming is much about being the rhythm guitarist. This is just the opposite of the drummer who doesn't believe the beat has much to do with the song (sorry I couldn't resist!)!! lol! So it's critical you learn to keep the correct time while you play. Watch Neil, he does a great job of starting his lessons with the correct beat whether it's 1/2, 1/4, 1/8,1/16 notes.

Once you have the correct time, you can start experimenting with ups and downs. I believe this is more about the feel than anything else and if you are still keeping the right time you can do anything you want to make the song sound good.

I know a lot of people are into "strumming patterns" but I'm not. Strumming patterns are over-rated but they do give you a starting point to learn a song. I think you learn the basic beat and then embellish your strumming to fit the way the original artist played it or how it feels to you.

Good luck and let us know how you are progressing! Cheers! :cheer:

Music Junkie

Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:20 pm

BigBear wrote:
I know a lot of people are into "strumming patterns" but I'm not. Strumming patterns are over-rated but they do give you a starting point to learn a song. I think you learn the basic beat and then embellish your strumming to fit the way the original artist played it or how it feels to you.

Good luck and let us know how you are progressing! Cheers! :cheer:
Bear: I think there is a proper way per a recorded song, but you also notice when watching live performances, that the actual artist changes up the strum pattern of the song as well. Your point about staying on time and then just getting a feel from there is spot on in my opinion... It kind of has to be as I have a hard time picking them out sometimes as well....lol So for the most part, I try and stay in time and play something that sounds nice. Some are better than others, but even very simple patterns can make a nice song as well.

MJ

:laugh:

BigBear

Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:34 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Bear: I think there is a proper way per a recorded song, but you also notice when watching live performances, that the actual artist changes up the strum pattern of the song as well. Your point about staying on time and then just getting a feel from there is spot on in my opinion... It kind of has to be as I have a hard time picking them out sometimes as well....lol So for the most part, I try and stay in time and play something that sounds nice. Some are better than others, but even very simple patterns can make a nice song as well.

Where I think strumming gets cool is when you add brush strokes or syncopation to your pattern to give your playing some complexity. :cheer:

cabro

Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:07 pm

Charles, here's my two cents worth. I've been rhythm section for close to 40 years now and the first thing I would suggest is to watch Springsteen. You'll notice his right hand never stops moving. Not so with the guy in the video you posted. For me, the right hand is a metronome. It keeps the beat for me and from there it's a matter of timing as to whether you hit the strings on the down stroke or the upstroke or both occasionally, as it is in this song. I want to say more but I can't quite articulate what I'm trying to say. Just keep that right hand moving.

BTW Rick, it's not nice to take pot shots at drummers. First, it's too easy and secondly, it's mostly true. :laugh:

Chasplaya

Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:57 pm

Timing timing timing,

Don't worry so much about the strumming pattern as keeping perfect time. My timing stunk so my guitar instructor convinced me to start playing electric bass in the ensemble I was in. We were a performing group so I had to be as spot on as I could be. Sorry guys but the drummer and bass player are the backbone of any group. I don't care how well you play, if your timing is off- its all bad. Bye the way - my timing is stil not the best - but much better since I learned the bass. Makes you listen to songs in a whole different way. I strongly suggest that any guitar player gives it a go. It will give you a whole new appreciation of the bassist and drummer.

BigBear

Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:06 pm

cabro wrote:
BTW Rick, it's not nice to take pot shots at drummers. First, it's too easy and secondly, it's mostly true. :laugh:

ROFL!!! I was hoping you'd catch that little jab!! :lol: Picking on drummers is like taking advantage of the handicapped! Just not nice!! :lol:

AndyT

Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:11 am

I think Bear is a closet drummer. LOL

Charles,
I think he is using a combo pattern in that song.
It sounds like he is playing 8 downs quickly, then he alternates with a 1 3 & 4 & pattern. I only listened to him for a bit but thats what I picked up.

Chasplaya

Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:42 am

Yep Andy is correct several patterns in this one, hard to pick up some of them.

AndyT

Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:45 am

Plus his timing sounds a bit off so that makes it harder yet.
I have a friend that is a pretty good player, but his timing sux. He is like an old man on the expressway, speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down... He drives me crazy trying to follow him!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic