Learning New Strumming Patterns

Feel free to get outside the box here.
BigBear

Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:23 pm

NKenny wrote:
Bear
I need to get a metronome, which Boss do you have or one you would recommend?

Thanks Kenny

Kenny- I use a Boss, Dr. Beat, DB-88. Here is the current model:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss-DB-90- ... 1125666.gc

I'd forgotten how expensive this was. I wouldn't spend that much for a metronome. This one does way more than I need but it's a really good one.

I think Boss, Korg and Seiko are all good. I think you need to be in the $50 range to get good quality. I'd look at eBay too!

Good luck! :cheer:

goldleaf

Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:28 pm

Sounds good to me bro, good singing voice. I'm not familiar with the song, so I don't know the strumming pattern. But you have a good sound.

wrench

Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:58 pm

Kenny,

I use a Korg TM-40. It's a combination tuner and metronome, and costs about thirty bucks. I think it does both jobs really well. I've used it every day for about five months now, and I'm pretty impressed with it considering it's not an expensive model.

wrench

AndyT

Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:10 pm

Wrench, that is the same one I have.

Bear, Oh! you meant on the same song. Well... They can! LMBO! I'm beginning to wonder if you were scared by a drummer as a small child...

For free metronomes try these two:

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/metronome.php

And this one;

http://www.metronomeonline.com/

scotty139

Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:04 pm

Believe or not, strumming and stumming patterns have been my biggest problem in learning to play the guitar. Anyone got any hints that might help me, I've got NO rhythum.

scotty139:(

BigBear

Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:25 pm

scotty139 wrote:
Believe or not, strumming and stumming patterns have been my biggest problem in learning to play the guitar. Anyone got any hints that might help me, I've got NO rhythum.

scotty139:(

Hey Scott, welcome to the forum!! Go back thru this thread and read the posts that address this. Also, Neil has some good lessons on strumming if you feel up to joining the TARGET program. I can personally vouch for the program as my abilities with the guitar have skyrocketed since I joined 5 months ago! It is the best $20/month I've ever spent and you can get out anytime you want to.

The most important thing to learn with strumming is to keep good time. Start by doing a downstroke on each beat, one-two-three-four. Then do an upstroke in between the 1/4 notes and so one, one and two and three....and so on. Do them dead slow until you get the monotomous beat down. Then speed up as you get better.

Every guitarist needs to own and use a metronome. This gets discussed earlier in this thread. It's critical to good strumming.

Good luck and Happy Playin! :cheer:

scotty139

Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:39 pm

Now you can see my problem. I just realized that I came in on the tailend of this thread. I will now read the whole thread.

scotty139:blush:

BigBear

Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:54 pm

scotty139 wrote:
Now you can see my problem. I just realized that I came in on the tailend of this thread. I will now read the whole thread.

scotty139:blush:

It's okay buddy! You should see what the old guys like Andy and Chas do!! lol!! :lol:

haoli25

Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:04 pm

Scotty, if you click on the MASTER MENU, go down to the section 'Free Guitar Tips and Techniques'. There is a section in there on Strumming and also Strumming With A Pick. It is a good idea for all players at every level to go back and review those every once in a while.

Bill

AndyT

Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:47 am

I think we had a discussion about strumming once. Maybe. Could-a-been.
Just keep plugging away. Sooner or later (later in my case) you will make progress and not even know it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic