Neil is ...

Feel free to get outside the box here.
goldleaf

Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:43 pm

Interesting thread as it seems most of us are using some form of the baseball grip, often with success and the fingering of the Dm and G chords using the pinky. For me it seems more comfortable using a partial baseball grip because it feels more natural playing certain songs or chord changes. Same with the G chord, I try to use the pinky but it just dosen't feel as natural in some cases. Maybe these changes many of us are trying to get to come more natural don't have to be used all the time. I think for me it may be a long term project trying to introduce these changes so they do start to feel natural but not to a point where it seems to make playing cetrain song more difficult. Gary

jayswett

Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:34 pm

I think looking at these necessary changes as "long term" projects is the right way to do it. As a relative beginner, I am hoping that my bad habits can be changed relatively easily. One of these is using the 5th finger of my right hand as an anchor point while finger picking. Mr. Hogan came down fairly strongly against this practice in yesterday's TG Live episode, which I just finished watching. I was disappointed with this as it just means more work trying to change something with which I've managed to become quite comfortable.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:49 pm

Sorry to hear that Jay! I had the opposite experience, felt relief at not having to go there as I find it almost impossible to do. Neil delivered the reasoning for me so now I feel justified in never having learned to anchor with my pinky! I watched my mother play Spanish classical style as a kid and thought that it was the correct thing to do. I'm sure it will have it's uses too, so the learning for you was not for nothing.... probably!

wrench

Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:58 pm

jayswett wrote:
I think looking at these necessary changes as "long term" projects is the right way to do it. As a relative beginner, I am hoping that my bad habits can be changed relatively easily. One of these is using the 5th finger of my right hand as an anchor point while finger picking. Mr. Hogan came down fairly strongly against this practice in yesterday's TG Live episode, which I just finished watching. I was disappointed with this as it just means more work trying to change something with which I've managed to become quite comfortable.
Jay,

The title of this thread is "Neil is...", and it began with the sharing of a regression while trying improve technique.

You might want to check the recent thread on regression.

I think your points are all valid, but I'll caution you by completing the title of thread. Neil is....Right. I share your thought on being glad to be a beginner, because I can't comprehend how difficult it would be to overhaul an experienced skillset.

By the way, a week ago I had a repertoire of 25 to 30 songs. I just finished playing Lucky Man from Beginner Lesson 2 for an hour, and I almost have it right, so now my repertoire is almost 1. But when it gets to 1, it will be right.

wrench

tovo

Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:59 pm

I'm feelin' your pain Jay, my pinkie is feeling rejected as I try to keep it off the pick guard. Now the little guy just waves in the breeze and watches the other dudes do their thing. I have tried to console him by promising to try and use him on a G Cord in future but right now he thinks I can't be trusted as he had a job he really enjoyed but is now unemployed and looking for work.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:03 pm

By the way, a week ago I had a repertoire of 25 to 30 songs. I just finished playing Lucky Man from Beginner Lesson 2 for an hour, and I almost have it right, so now my repertoire is almost 1. But when it gets to 1, it will be right.
Well put! I've gone from 200 to about 2 since I've been here wrench, if I'm brutally honest with myself. I'm not too bothered about getting them "right" but better, more proficient, sounding smoother, fuller and cooler.... I'll settle for that.

AndyT

Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:24 am

As an update to this thread, today I played with my church group at the Water baptism. We had 231 people get baptised. YEAH!

The really cool thing was I was so worried about making chords and when I started playing we rocked! It sounded great! Yes, I missed quite a few changes and hit some wrong chords, but overall I had a blast and did pretty well. Its coming back slowly. A few more months and I might have it licked for good.

tovo

Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:45 am

That's cool Andy, sounds like you are really pumped from the experience. Glad it went well for you.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic