Rhythm a natural thing?

Feel free to get outside the box here.
NKenny

Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:43 pm

I have so much trouble trying to play the rhythm for a song. I was trying to play Evil Ways and had such a hard time. Just cant seem to get it, once in awhile it sounded close then I completely lost it. I think At times I have two left feet or make that thumbs. I think rhythm is a natural thing and if one doesn't have it how do you try to develop it? Does it come with time by listening over and over?
Any suggestions, do any of you have this problem?

Thanks Kenny

Music Junkie

Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:53 pm

Kenny:

It is "more" natural for some than for others (IMO). I have none!!!!!!!!!!!!

That being said, use a metronome AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE until you start to feel it. The metronome has really made a big difference for me. I had a hard time at first, but just push through it and it will happen.

MJ

Music Junkie

Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:56 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Kenny:

It is "more" natural for some than for others (IMO). I have none!!!!!!!!!!!!

That being said, use a metronome AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE until you start to feel it. The metronome has really made a big difference for me. I had a hard time at first, but just push through it and it will happen.

MJ
forgot to mention, figure out your strum pattern before you start. It can be as simple as a single down stroke per beat. Start simple and work your way up to more detailed strum patterns....

:)

helloworld

Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:30 pm

I've had lots of trouble with rhythm in the past too. Since finding this site and practicing like crazy, I've become fairly confident with my strumming and rhythm.

I think the best way to develop your rhythm and strumming skills are to start very, very slow. Make sure you have your strumming pattern figured out before you start like Music Junkie said. Then practice the pattern with a single chord at a snails pace.

Use a metronome after you're starting to get a feel for the strum, but set it very slow. Practice until you can get through 1 or 2 minutes of strumming without making any mistakes. Once you've become confident with the pattern at a snails pace, boost the speed a little. You'll find that you can start getting faster and faster and still keep good rhythm.

Always make sure to keep your hand moving even if it's a rest beat. During rest beats you want to miss the strings, but keep your hand moving in time.

Tapping your foot can help too, but only when you're comfortable and relaxed. Don't try to tap your foot if it just feels like something else to keep track of.

You'll feel a huge improvement in your rhythm within a couple days time, if you follow this advice and practice like it's going out of style.

wrench

Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:54 pm

Kenny,

I have, or had, very good natural timing and I trashed it with a bad habit. I've been working to get it back the last week or so, and I have success with this.

Therefore, I think you can indeed develop good timing, or at least better than you have now. MJ and helloworld give good advice here, I agree with them wholeheartedly.

For tips to improve your rhythm guitar, I offer these three points. First, remember that Neil teaches the right hand be independent of the left. Strum in time no matter what the left hand is doing. Second, select the strumming pattern you want to use. Review Beginner Lessons 2 thru 5 to see them. Third, practice those strum patterns to a metronome.

Don't be overwhelmed in sorrowful failure if it seems clumsy when you first try this. It feels awkward at first, and takes some concentration, but improvement comes fast. Be aware of this, too. You won't see much improvement during your session; you will see it on your next day's session.

wrench

BigBear

Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:01 pm

Kenny- it is also very helpful to play the song with fully muted strings. Just mute the strings with your left hand and then brush the rthythm with your right. Don't worry about anything else. You know the song already so just try to feel it!

Good luck buddy! :cheer:

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:03 pm

I remember waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back, my sisters laughing at my ridiculous attempts to strum the rhythm of Elenor Rigby. I just kept getting lost in the melody. I just gave up. Then I saw McCarney in concert and realised there was this One ... One.... One... stroke from a violin or chello going on and I finally go it because I could separate the melody from the basic rhythm because I finally heard the tact. That's been the key for me and my strumming is not bad but, shame me, never used a 'nome.... yet.

Lavallee

Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:30 pm

The rhythm migth be more natural for some than others. But everybody can strum. If it is more difficult, you need to practice different strumming style going simple to more elaborate. The challenge when working on the strumming pattern is we also have the melody that we try to follow. Like Bear said muting your strings with the left hand and focusing on the strumming helps.

I just ordered a book from Jody Fisher (Rhythm guitar encyclopedia), which contains 450 strumming patterns for many styles. You have the cd which you can hear what it is suppose to sound like and then you look on the sheet for the strumming pattern. Cost about $20 on amazon

Marc

NKenny

Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:56 pm

Thanks everyone for your help. I will just keep strumming away

TGMatt

Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:59 pm

TO embellish this thread some and learn something here..what would teh categories of strumming break down into if we expanded a category in teh forum under strumming ?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic